1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football coach? Who is the best NFL coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Making fun, but Belichick is really head and shoulders above anyone else.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Riley was sought by Alabama mainly because he's an Alabama grad and they were desperate at the time (after the Mike Price fiasco). And it was Mike Shula that got the job, not Dave.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No joke. Pete Carroll has done the recruiting, coached them very, very well and his players look like they're having fun. So does Carroll ... and that attitude is the X-factor that makes him the choice over Nick Saban.

Honorable mention: Jim Grobe (go ahead and laugh ... who outside the ACC knew Wake Forest even had football until a few years ago?), Mike Leach, Paul Johnson, Frank Beamer and Urban Meyer. Turner Gill could be a shooting star.

NFL: Jeff Fisher. Has done more with less than any coach in the league. How come we hear about all the reclamation projects, low-round draft picks and free agents out of Foxboro, yet we don't hear about all the players functioning well in Nashville? Oh yeah ... media machine is closer to major metro areas such as New York.

Honorable mention: Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, John Fox (yeah, I know ... at least I wasn't the first to bring him up). I suspect Mike Tomlin was ascend this list soon.

4. Guy_Incognito

Either that, or the fact that until this year, New England has been a lot better just about every year. Is Tennessee being neglected this year? Is tehre any reason we should have heard more about them for the last few?

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'll narrow it down to two in each
    NFL: Belichick and Fisher, Dungy is right there.
    College: Stoops and Carroll, Saban is right there.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stoops?

Too bad they play bowl games in college football.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, the Titans aren't being neglected. But Jeff Fisher wasn't getting any credit for his body of work with the franchise until the team's hot start this year.

Fisher was one of the top coaches in the league long before the 10-0 start.

8. Guy_Incognito

OK, and I think his name always came up in these discussions. "One of the best"? Sure. But light years behind Belicheck

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here is my top 5:

College:

1. Carroll
    2. Stoops
    3. Meyer
    4. Tressel
    5. Saban - his team is No.1 now, but they haven't won it yet. The rest are always top 10 teams. Shit even Paterno garners attention if Saban does.

Pro:

1. Big Bad Bill
    2. Jeff Fisher
    3. Coughlin
    4. Dungy
    5. Tomlin

even wisenhunt has been solid

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If I were picking a coach, my short list would go:

NFL
    1. Tony Dungy
    2. Bill Belichick
    3. Jeff Fisher
    4. Mike Tomlin
    5. Tom Coughlin

College
    1. Mack Brown
    2. Nick Saban
    3. Pete Carroll
    4. Jim Tressel
    5. Mike Leach

I think Dungy and Brown are very similar in that they surround themselves with good coaches and let them go to work and their players genuinely seem to love playing for them. I think the New England players play hard and do what Belichick tells them to because they know it will probably work. But Indy players seem to love Dungy because he respects them. Belichick will lose his team during bad times, but I think Dungy would keep his team together.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Coughlin has more division titles, super bowl wins and championship appearances than Belicheck?

Please show your work

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And I am sorry -- Jeff Fisher is a good coach -- you are not a GREAT COACH until you win at least one championship.

The championship argument is debatable in college given the differences in resources but in the NFL, if you are a coach for more than a decade and have zero championships, you cannot be on any serious list of THE best coach in the league.

And as for the argument that "it is easy to win at places like Texas and USC" -- that may be the dumbest shit of all.

The coaching grave yard is littered with guys who COULDN'T win at those places -- and frankly given that recruiting is a major part of a coach's job description -- to punish them because they have good players -- hence they are good recruiters -- is just plain asinine.

And please, Frank Beamer? He's done an admirable job -- but there is no legitimate argument that he took over a program with any less history or any less prestige than Bobby Bowden and only one built an elite, national-championship caliber program while the other has built a nice program, that wins a lot of games and loses just about every big game it is involved in.

Ditto Jim Grobe and Paul Johnson and all these other guys who win more than they lose and because they are nice guys suddenly become legends in the minds of some delusional media members who want to wax poetic about "winning the right way" and stupid shit like that.

None of those guys are a fly on the ass of Nick Saban or Urban Meyer or Pete Carroll in terms of being in the category of great coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted