1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football coach? Who is the best NFL coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

My opinion...I'd take Belichick, Shanahan, or Dungy over Fisher. I think they are all better coaches. I'd pass on Gruden.

And Carroll is the best recruiter in the country, just a perfect fit for a West Coast college football team. He loses a winnable Pac 10 games every so often, but they are always playing with giant targets on their back. Saban's a better game coach, but I want Carroll running my college program. (not NFL team, because he sucks at that)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I certainly wouldn't argue Belichick over Fisher, cheater or not, the guy has three Super Bowl rings as a head coach.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Belichick was canned.

Coughlin has more winning seasons, more SB wins, more Championship appearances, more division titles and won with an expansion team.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's easier to be a "great" coach when you have your pick of the best players, so I omit from consideration Carroll, Saban, Tressel, Stoops, Meyer, etc. Give me someone like Frank Beamer, who generally is able to compete with the top-level schools but with lesser talent.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that contending for a title at Va. Tech is a heck of a lot harder than doing it at Texas, Florida or USC.

Meyer went undefeated at Utah. That should count for something. Les Miles won at Oklahoma State.

But, I agree that Beamer should be in anyone's top 10.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Beamer's a good call.

But not just ANYONE can win big at USC, Florida or Texas. I give you Paul Hackett, Ron Zook and John Mackovic.

7. I don't know how you can dismiss Pete Carroll because he has great talent. Isn't that part of the gig in college?

How did all those USC coaches that preceded him for two decades do with all of that "great talent"?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Belicheck because he's done it with castoffs (Brady (6th rounder), Troy Brown, Moss, Vrabel, Harrison)and he's a great preparation guy (cheater apparently too, but if you're not cheating, you ain't tryin' (Leo the Lip?)).

Carroll because look at the past 5 years. Nobody's perfect in college, ever. Yeah he loses the dog (OSU, Stanford, etc.) but the only big game he's lost was that Texas Rose Bowl when no one wanted to tackle Vince Young.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In the college ranks, I don't know who has done more with less than Mike Riley at Oregon State. He coaches up his teams better than anyone and finds talent under rocks. It's a homer choice, sure, but he's also responsible for about half of the coaches in the Pac 10 having their jobs. He was sought by USC before they "settled" on Pete Carroll, he left OSU helping Dennis Erickson get his mojo back, he backed away from Washington, he even was sought by Alabama, which led to Dave Shula getting the gig; Karl Dorrell was hired by UCLA after Riley said no.

As for the pros, I think you have to give it to Belichick who was able to craft the first dynasty following the advent of free agency.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where is Beamer if he does not sell the soul of his program to the Vick brothers?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pete Carrol, Bill Belicheck.

Yeah Bellicheck cheated, but he beat the Panthers, who also cheated by taking 'roids. There's one super bowl. And he went 19-1 last year. Without cheating. 6-4 this year without his top 3 rbs, MVP QB and defensive injuries.

In fact, it always seems like all the defenders on the Pats are always hurt.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

NFL - Belichick, second place is not even in sight. I don't understand the love for Dungy. Wonderful man, perennial underachiever.

Draft saved Draft deleted