1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football coach? Who is the best NFL coach?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fisher is tough to root against. Great guy. I don't think too many coaches in the league could be classified that way.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Miles can recruit (not as well as Saban, but still pretty well) and he isn't afraid to take chances during a game, but his coaching (teaching) ability is debatable. There are very few players on that team this year that have improved much over the course of their careers. Plus, he hasn't really surrounded himself with good assistants (Pelini might be a good defensive coach, but he's never had to coach his own recruits).

After Saban, Meyer, Tressel, Carroll, I'd probably go Jim Grobe or Mark Richt.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Best coaches are Belichick (NFL) and Carroll (College football).

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how anyone could vote for Fisher in the NFL -- he is clearly a very good coach -- but Shanahan and Belicheck both have multiple super bowls on their mantles and I am willing to bet both have similar, if not better, winning percentages, division titles, playoff berths, etc., than Fisher does. I also think you can make a better case for Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy than Jeff Fisher.

In the end, however, it has to be Belicheck, especially given what he has done this year.

College coaching, it is hard to argue with Nick Saban, Pete Carroll or Urban Liar. I could be convinced of any of those three and couldn't make a strong argument against any of them.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you cheat and keep the best running back in college football on the sideline for your biggest play of the season.

6. 93Devil

Nothing wrong with those two.

Fisher and Meyer are right there as well.

7. I'd say Belichick and Saban.
    But I give Fisher a big prop for rebuilding that team from scratch. Of course, the management was smart to stay with him during the lean years.

8. Mizzougrad96

Belichick cheated. Shanahan can't win without Elway. Fisher's teams consistently overachieve. Gruden's team went into the tank very shortly after winning the Super Bowl with a team that Dungy built. Dungy's teams consistently choked for years and years (in Tampa and Indy) before he finally won one.

Carroll loses too many games that he has no business losing. Meyer is just now winning with players he recruited (there is no reason to think that won't continue).

9. 93Devil

Meyer ain't winning. He's destroying teams.

That MSU game... that's his only blotch.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Tom Coughlin ahead of Fisher. Belichick is the best coach.

Saban as a game coach is ahead Carroll.

11. Mizzougrad96

Coughlin was about to be canned before he won the Super Bowl.

12. Mizzougrad96

Ole Miss... and at home...

Draft saved Draft deleted