1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK ... what was Moon's signature win?

what was the biggest victory of his career?

forget the .500 record and the career passer rating that's one spot above Damon Huard

if he's such a great quarterback, what the heck did he ever win?

three wild-card games, that's it ... and in one of them he had one TD and three INTs

you've got to do better than that to be great

at least one visit to the conference championship round would help

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And you continue to repeat and repackage the same, overly-simplified argument. Sounds like you know you can't refute Zag's argument or mine, so you just ignore them.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with flanewbie. This is pretty dumb, even if it was intended to be ironic or something.

4. outofplace

Like it or not, black quarterbacks do have a unique place in the history of the sport because of the bullshit they had to go through for so many years. Unfortunately, it was a big deal even 20 years ago. There is a pretty good argument to be made that Moon wouldn't have had to go to the CFL first if he had been white.

Even guys like McNair and McNabb probably had to grow up with some of the stereotypes. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody somewhere along the way tried to tell them to switch to another position.

This discussion in part acknowledges the history of African Americans who played quarterback. I don't think it is dumb at all to do that. It certainly isn't racist or distasteful.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you start a poll on the best white running backs or receivers you are assuming them to be inferior.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

McNabb still deals with it.

Flanewb, I cannot sympathize, but I am sorry if this touched a nerve.

OOP did bring up a good point, though, about this not even being a conversation 20 years ago.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No, only unusual.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

And your problem is you can't refute write's argument, which is that when the Oilers finally did surround Moon with talent, he still couldn't win the big games.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The list would be A LOT shorter than the black quarterback list.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Brock Forsey weeps.

11. outofplace

Actually, that was countered. So was his ridiculously narrow approach to evaluating quarterbacks.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

the white backs and receivers list would be long, but just made up of guys who played prior to 1990,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.