1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: Cunningham

Enough said.

(96-yard touchdown pass)
    (highlights)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, since it is a laundry list, I'll add Shawn Moore, if only for the fact that when John Elway got hurt in 1992, he played a few games in which he alternated snaps with Tommy Maddox. One ran a play, then ran off the field, and the other came in and took the next snap.

Serious answer. ... Warren Moon is #1 for me, especially if you include what he did in Canada before he could get a chance in the NFL. In terms of impact on the game, Fritz Pollard would have to be somewhere on the list, even if you wouldn't want to compare him to Donovan McNabb, because it was such a different game.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Is this thread NFL only? Because if we are cutting out the CFL we are cutting out a lot of black QBs who never got a snif down south because they didn't have the right colour of skin. or because they weren't 6'4".

I submit an arguement for Damon Allen (the brother of Marcus Allen). He threw for 72,381 yards (almost 15,000 yards more than second in CFL history) and 394 touchdowns. He also ran for another 11,920 yards (3rd in CFL history, behing Mike Pringle and George Reed, both running backs) at a 6.7 yard clip and 93 touchdowns.

Marcus called him the best athlete he knew.

Maybe not first overall on the list because yes he did his damage in the CFL but certainly should be in the discussion ahead of many.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Beef, it does say "in NFL history"

5. moon is so overrated

an average QB

a stats compiler

a .500 QB who never reached a conference title game and went 3-7 in the playoffs with only three more TDs (17) than INTs (14) in those 10 games

regular-season and postseason W-L records:

Moon 102-101, 3-7
    Cunningham 82-52-1, 4-6
    McNabb 82-45-1, 9-6
    McNair 91-62, 5-5

only mcnabb has a winning record in the playoffs

being a successful QB is all about winning & moon falls way short of the three other guys

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Shit, I glossed past that. WHich is doubly sad considering I asked if it is confined to just the NFL. Hell I golfed a round in the pouring rain today, proof I'm not thinking straight at the moment.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Cunningham might be the best black punter, narrowly edging out Reggie Roby, thanks to that 98-yarder.

8. it was 91 yards

9. Jimmy Dix.
    Best arm in the National League, you son of a Bitch. Remember that.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Taking Moon's record out of context is really a pretty silly thing to do. If you remember the Houston Oilers he inherited absolutely sucked ass, they were the worst team in the league and were desperate for something.

The first three years he was 12-33 as a starter -- on teams which were absolutely awful.

You take that and throw his last couple of years, when he was in Seattle and playing out the string for a mediocre team, out the window as well, he was 11-13 then 0-1 in his only start with KC at the end -- he was 23-47 in those years -- and 89-54 during his prime.

The playoff record is a little more troubling, though that team just seemed to be snake bitten (the Elway drive, the Montana's last hurrah, the Bubby "Yes we can" Brister overtime game, the Frank Reich miracle) when it came to the playoffs.

To say a guy who is a nine-time Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer is average is one of the dumbest things I have ever read around here -- unless you are going to tell me Dan Marino and Dan Fouts were average as well.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You can't win by yourself in the NFL and the Oilers were horrible when Moon got to Houston. He also lost much of his prime because the NFL was too dumb or too racist (depending on who you ask) to appreciate his talent coming out of college.

As I mentioned on the other thread, trying to evaluate any NFL player only on his teams wins and losses is ridiculous. If you are going to argue that the team a player has around him doesn't matter, then you have to bring the championships Moon won in Canada into the discussion.

Moon didn't just rack up numbers by lasting a long time, either. He threw for over 4,000 yards in a season four times and reached his career high of 33 touchdown passes twice.

If you want to bend the criteria to suit your argument, go for it. Just don't expect your argument to be taken seriously.

Edit: Damn. Zag beat me to it. Hell, I'm posting it anyway.

12. as an african-american man, this has to be the most distasteful thread i've ever seen on this site, and I've been here for about four years now. These guys are quarterbacks, period. and this conversation, to me, is just a sad reminder of how much these guys have had to overcome just to be recognized with their white colleagues. If you want to compare donovan mcnabb to peyton manning, or fran tarkenton, or staubach? fine. But to me, this is just a real stereotypical thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.