1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cunningham would be my No. 1. Criminally underappreciated.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No Kordell, Zag?

He did QB the Stillers. What about Joe Gilliam?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Again, for the 234,567,432,134,567,432,946th time -- does that mean you'd take Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon and Jeff Hostetler over Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon?

Or better yet -- from Williams own team - would you take Tim Smith over just about any running back with a pulse who played for more than three years in the NFL?

Williams was a great player, but he had the perfect storm of events in order to win that Super Bowl ring and had only a few truly impressive seasons.

He was not as good as any of the four guys I have mentioned.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why do I even click on these threads?

5. zagoshe

Joe Gilliam?

Didn't he die in Nashville suddenly and with drugs in his system as well?

Warren Moon and Kordell Stewart should not consider Nashville an option to spend their retirement.....

But your larger point is this - had Gilliam not loved riding the white horse so much, he might have been at the top of this list.

6. Big Circus

To continue the Vikings-jack: I was in attendance at the only game Spergon ever started.

7. Big Circus

Yeah, but how long has he been a black quarterback?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Warren Moon
    2) Randall Cunningham
    3) Steve McNair
    4) Donovan McNabb

9. zagoshe

You like Randall Cunningham that much?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No love for Jeff Blake and his deep throws that were eye-level with the fans in the upper deck?

I'd probably put McNabb at the top, although Moon was likely the better passer. The system that McNabb is in, and the receivers he's had to work with over the years, have really turned him into a guy who hasn't thrown a lot of deep balls.
    McNair? He was decent, but he never struck me as a guy who was among the top five or six quarterbacks in the league at any point. Even his MVP season, his numbers were good but not overwhelming (3,200 yards, 24 TDs, 7 INT). McNabb in his prime (2001-2005) was a better runner, better passer and a more consistent winner. I'll give the edge to McNabb.
    As for Cunningham, he was certainly a more exciting player. But he was never a great passer before his knee injury in '91 and never the same player after. He had that one magical season in '98 (which Randy Moss had a lot to do with), yet will always go down in history as one of the great "coulda beens" in NFL history.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Moon. Even tho Zag said NFL, to discount Moon's CFL career would be a travishamockery.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Toss up between McNabb and Moon. I would probably give a slight edge to Moon right now, but McNabb could pull ahead with a couple more good years and/or a title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.