1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And yet the reality is they will be judged as both.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Still not an "either/or" situation here. They can be judged as both.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd have to go with Moon. He never won a Super Bowl, but I don't remember people calling him soft the way they do with McNabb.

I'd actually take Cunningham second, then McNabb.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

By whom? I don't think African Americans are going around saying who was the best black quarterback in NFL history. In fact, as many discussions that I've had with African Americans on sports, I can't EVER recall one that centered on who was the best black this or best black that?
    They were quarterbacks who were black. More importantly, they were human beings.
    I'm sure your intent and comment wasn't meant to be racist but it sure got there in a hurry IMO.

5. outofplace

One, the poster who started this thread is African American, so you are already wrong.

Two, there is nothing racist about acknowledging the very special difficulties that a certain group of quarterbacks had to overcome.

Three, if you hadn't destroyed your credibility around here long ago, I might actually be offended when you accuse me of racism. As it is, it's just Drip being Drip and not worthy of being taken seriously.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let's get a few things straight.
    One, I don't need credibility from you. You don't sign my paycheck or pay my bills.
    Two, This is a message board. Don't get this twisted like a pretzel into thinking that it's anything else.
    Three, If the person who started the thread is African American, he/she is THE FIRST African American I have known in all of my years who began a topic of "who is the best black" quarterback or what have you.
    And I'll add one more thing. If you can't see where your thought might be considered racist, then you my friend definitely are not in a position to give anyone or anything credibility.

7. outofplace

Don't flatter yourself. I've been insulted by far better people than you on this board.

The only credibility we have here is what we earn here. If you don't realize that you have destroyed your credibility on this board, then you just aren't paying attention.

Given your history with honesty, nobody cares about the people you say you know or what you say they have done.

There is absolutely nothing racist about saying that racial background will be considered when African American quarterbacks are discussed. Most have dealt with crap no white quarterback would ever have to deal with. If you were half as knowledgable as you claim you are, you wouldn't need me to explain that to you.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. And if judged solely as quarterbacks --- race notwithstanding --- none of them rank in my top 20 all-time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.