1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Who is Ron Paul?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Those far-right militia types always seem to get in bed with the libertarians.

They spout the usual free market, free guns, free country, states' rights tripe.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But I'm not sure that necessarily reflects negatively on Paul. He can't help it that some skinheads and right wing militia kooks came to his speech and support him. Anyone who wanted to attend was welcome, they chose to come see him, he did not go to them.

And the reason those guys have interest in Paul is solely because of his libertarian views on limited federal government and taxes, not because he has any racist views. Nearly every signficant campaign attracts some extreme fringe kooks, regardless of whether they're wanted or not.

3. Dedo

Dedo Member

Did you read the link? It isn't just that the kooks came to his speech -- he has a long, documented, speech-giving, questionable-banquet-attending, donation-accepting history which at least gives the appearance of him courting these people.

At the very least, he's guilty of not distancing himself from these whack-jobs despite multiple opportunities to do so...

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well-put, Dedo. If he's not explicitly courting them, he at least doesn't seem to be bothered by their presence or their votes.

And while he may not be racist, some of his past positions, like the xenophobic and paranoiac belief in a "New World Order," and his rather extreme libertarian take on diversity or "multiculturalism" at least touch the surface. He doesn't seem to mind their company anyways.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Did someone call for us?

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I admit I'd not read all of that before my prior post, and it is somewhat enlightening. Although I could argue that there's no reason he should reject their votes if he does not share, endorse, or have any policy intentions consistent with the abhorent part of their belief system.

And I found that site's melodramatic suggestions that Paul might be a secret "front for fascism" somewhat absurd. Paul's platform is essentially libertarianism which, as a political ideology, is about as far from fascism as you can get. One believes in removing central government control wherever its unnecessary, the other in nearly complete authoritarian control.

Yeah, libertarianism tends to attract right wing militia kooks who hate the Feds and IRS, but it also often attracts pacifists and extreme liberal types because of its views on foreign policy and drug legalization. It doesn't fit neatly into either a left or right wing pigeonhole.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Side note: The new green-underlined words are nearly enough in the past three minutes I've noticed them to make me want to become a subscriber.

I don't want windows popping up as I move my mouse ACROSS A PAGE.

9. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Why is this Ron Paul stuff being shoved at us on SportsJournalists.com?

I do like some of the sound bites I've seen, but journalists must remain objective.

Whoever's putting this stuff on the site, please stop doing it. It's fanboy stuff.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fnord.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Excellent.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

4 LIFE!

Draft saved Draft deleted