1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is making those 973 Ron Paul signs I see on the way to work?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Thanks for comin' out, Jan 9, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fixed.

2. I agree with you, Sportschick. But doesn't running a campaign aimed at a demographic that seems to never change its turnout - Vote or Die 2004 had no blip on the numbers from 2000 being one example - look like a mistake?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dude, you were rolling (tee-hee) until this point.

Ron Paul voted against giving Rosa Parks the Congressional Medal of Honor, because he doesn't EVER want to spend money.

Vote for Ron Paul if you wish, but please, don't pretend he's got mainstream opinions on most matters. He's a hardcore libertarian -- and I think that's cool, at least for him. Fox surely fucked him at the debate -- welcome to the world of advocating policies that Fox News doesn't like, I'm Zeke and I'll be your tour guide. But he wants to do away with public schools and put us back on the gold standard. He's also got some pretty spooky ties to white supremacist groups. Let's be honest about that.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think he really wants to be president though. I almost think he's trying to give a voice to a section of the GOP that the leaders have ignored for most of my lifetime.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's got some good ideas (limiting the size of federal government).
    He's got some loony ideas (his views on non-interventionism are straight out of the 1800s, even if I agree we should pull out of certain areas; the comment about the Civil War not being necessary was pretty ignorant).
    I like his good ideas, but the loony far outweighs the good in my book. I don't think I could vote for him.

6. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I'm glad someone posted about this. My state doesn't have a primary for a long time, and I've only seen one candidate with signs on median strips so far: Ron Freaking Paul. And these aren't your ordinary political signs stuck in the ground on a single wood stake. No sir, these are three-feet wide monsters that they probably had to pour concrete supports for.

Enough already. These things are an absolute eyesore.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ding!

Libertarians are a small, but growing group.

Paul is a hard-core Libertarian running in the GOP ... there are A LOT of small-government, constitutional strict constructionists in the GOP that have been frustrated with the GOP's direction (even with the post-Goldwater/Reagan move to the right), especially on social issues, foreign policy issues and Bush's "compassionate conservatism" that has the Republicans spending like a bunch of drunken Democrats. But those Libertarians will vote GOP because they are for less government than the Dems (the potheads/social Libertarians will usually vote Dem because the Dems are for less government on those issues).

Not only that, but the potheads are going to support anybody that is openly for the repeal of drug laws.

There are too many social conservatives in the GOP to get Paul the nomination, but he at least gets himself some attention.

His numbers might be surprising, but to me, it shows the "third-party problem" -- many voters (myself included) consider themselves philosophically Libertarian (or Green), but won't vote for a third-party candidate because they are worried about the "wasted vote" -- something more noted when the Nader votes helped push Bush over the top in 2000. In a primary, there is no "wasted vote." And on a major-party ticket (as Paul runs for Congress as a Republican), the Libertarians will come out in droves to vote for their candidate.

We have a similar guy in Indy ... Andy Horning has run for Congress, Governor, Mayor and several other jobs as a Libertarian, and lost. So, he recently switched his party affiliation to GOP (but hasn't changed his views) and while he still hasn't won anything (his district is very, very heavily Dem), he is gaining a substantially larger percentage of the vote.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, weed is noted for making people aggressive and anti-social. Thanks for coming, Emir!

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Zeke- I've heard about the racist/white supremacist ties multiple times now. I guess I haven't followed him well enough to know what happened. Any help/knowledge for the less informed?

10. SigR

SigR Member

The "Who is Ron Paul?" signs come from the first line of Ayn Rand's book, Atlas Shrugged. The first line in that book: "Who is Jon Galt?"

And in the end, Ron Paul's ideology is not too different than the fictional Jon Galt's ideology in Atlas Shrugged.

He's a libertarian running as a republican, and in my estimation the only person in either party worth voting for. He's closer to old-school republicanism--before Reagan and the evangelicals hijacked the party and started to spend as happiply as democrats.

11. His affection for the Constituion does not extend to Amendments XIII and XIV, alas.

12. Yea, a shirtless guy jumping around with 10-foot-wide Ron Paul sign in below freezing temperatures... a stoner would never stoop to such behavior. Nice observation.

Draft saved Draft deleted