1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who, if anyone, has influenced you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mrs. Davey, Sister Justine and Father Chris.

Dr. Roberts, my friend, mentor and father figure, and the smartest mofo I've ever known.

Alexander Hamilton.

my old man.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Kurt Vonnegut, David Sedaris, to name two.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The guys who made me want to be a sports writer were...

Jim Murray
    Rick Reilly
    S.L. Price
    Mike Downey
    Doug Looney
    TJ Simers
    Frank DeFord
    Dave Kindred

Granted, that was almost 20 years ago...

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

For leadership style, I'll tip my hat to the late Paul C. Smith, who taught by example about being a good person and a thoughtful journalist during the 14 years we worked together. They're lessons I've never forgotten (well, not for long, anyway) and I still apply them to this day with my own staff. You might not win any industry awards just for being a nice guy, but I'd rather be known as a decent person anyway. (And you can still win industry awards for turning out a decent product along the way.) http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050227&content_id=951842&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

Writing style? I don't know ... perhaps equal parts Dave Barry (humor), George Orwell (imagery) and any wire service scribe who can put something together quickly and competently without the need for a writethru every 10 minutes (clarity).

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I can think of two bosses who helped inspire me and make me a better worker, regardless of the medium. Brian Young (TV) and Mark Tomasik (print). Both knew how to inspire, give constructive criticism to make you better and when they praised you, you knew they meant it and it made you feel good and want to get that praise again.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Peter North.

Draft saved Draft deleted