1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who, if anyone, has influenced you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

After reading through the entire "The most influential sports journalist working today?" thread and not willing to threadjack it, I was wondering, is there any single individual, or small group, that has influenced you as a writer?

I've seen plenty of names thrown about here and there, so I figure there's a small proportion that has influenced the way you've written.

For me, I don't know that I've found anyone. I've looked to a variety of writers for pointers, especially when it comes to spicing up a game story late in the season, but I've never really imitated, or been influenced by, anyone. I just try to simply tell my own story the way that I saw it, hoping that it might be good enough to do someone who also witnessed the events I saw justice.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know if I've consciously tried to emulate anyone, but I've always considered Shirley Povich somewhat of an inspiration.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Guys like Gary Smith and Jones and a few others have inspired me and their work often reminds me that there are many different ways to write a story.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Vonnegut, which made for some real interesting game previews.

When I get lost, though, I go back to Papa.

5. Harless Wade

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Twelfth grade. Creative writing class (which I took figuring it would be a bird course). We're studying poetry and I - and another student - hate it. The teaccher, someone who doesn't "teach by the book" decides to construct a "magazine writing" component for me and the other student. We read the New Yorker, mainly, to get ideas, the feel for longer pieces, read good writing, etc. I write something on baseball for my first assignment. He comes over and says, "You know, you can't play sports forever. You might want to think about writing about them forever. I think you could be a sports reporter."

Had he not said that and suggested college, I'd be an unemployed factory worker or worse right now.

He was influence enough for me. I've been doing my own thing ever since.

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I won't name names, half out of outing concerns and half because these aren't "known" guys. One used to be in the biz. One still is.

As writers and reporters, they're good. I'm sure there are some who are better. That's not why I count these two as role models and influences.

It's because it can be a Major Bombshell Event or a Friday night game between Frottage County Central and Donkey Punch West, and they'd put their best into either one.

It's because both believe in showing up well-dressed and acting cordially to the "little guy", instead of going back for a fourth helping of press room hot wings and bragging about the job opening they're sure to land.

Both would drop all their awards, all their time on the beat, to spend more time with their wives/children.

Both would rather spend time with family or find some getaway time rather than tune in to ESPN or check their fantasy football stats.

Both remind me on a daily basis that lots of us get to write a "great story" at least once in our careers, but not all of us can be remembered as great people.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've worked with some of the best writers, photographers, editors, paginators and general newsroom newsies in America, at a variety of places. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Above all the writers and reporters I have read, above all the folks I have worked with in all sorts of newsrooms and press boxes, above anybody with whom I share e-mails and text messages, I will always remember and respect my first editor at The Post at Ohio University.

He listened. He provided feedback. He worked with me to improve my reporting and my writing and my editing. He showed me how to manage a staff of dozens of young reporters. I know, yeah, that's what an editor, a good editor, should do anyway. But I was young and impressionable and his actions had a lasting affect on me. I would have hung around this business anyway, but he helped spur my interest.

I don't remember the last time I talked with him. But I still read him online quite often. He's over in Yakima, Wash., now. Would love to make it out that way and check out what dirty cap he's wearing now.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The first guy that ever hired me in this business - an ASE in Idaho, Chris Gove. He taught me how to write newspaper style, how to file on deadline and how to report. I wish I could work for him again.
    A good boss and better yet one of those bosses that helps you get better.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Bus Saidt and Mike Lupica

12. Raymond Shaw is the bravest, most wonderful human being that I have ever met.

Draft saved Draft deleted