1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Here Is Still Working in Journalism?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jan 19, 2009.

?

Which of the following most accurately describes your situation?

1. I am not working in journalism by choice or due to layoff or firing.

22.1%
  2. I am working in journalism.

72.4%
  3. I never did work in journalism.

5.5%
  1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Left nearly 6 years ago for a job in sports PR. Now on my second gig since then, completely out of sports.

I miss being around sports and the rush of working on deadline, but overall I'm thankful to be in a much more stable profession. Took a break a few years ago from freelancing ... will probably start up again later this year.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Still in, afraid of tomorrow, but trying to put out my best work so as not to look expendable.
    However, with the state of the industry, that probably doesn't matter one bit.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

in journalism, still love the day to day work and long-term projects and anxiety ridden about the future

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've been freelancing since Scripps raped my paper three plus years ago.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

In journalism. Loving it.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Long gone, just passed my seventh anniversary of full-time librarianship. That's longer than I worked full-time in journalism. Did string for a few years after leaving FT, but that ended a year and a half ago when the paper I was doing it for moved the deadlines up to 10 p.m. That wasn't worth my trouble. Then I found out I didn't really miss it anymore when they asked if I wanted to come back the next year (deadlines moved back again).

Realized I never really had the passion to do it in the first place.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sill in it. Fulltime. Decent beat. Shitty boss. Scared shitless of the future of this business. Decided I'm not going anywhere until forced to do so.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In like Flynt.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I definitely want people who are freelancing in journalism as their primary means of income to vote 'in.'

If you've got a FT job that is out of journalism but still do a little stringing on the side, I would vote 'out.' (Though you may still be looking to get back in FT.)

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My paper was closed last month. Future? It's not even so much the state of the business as it is "am I good enough to hack at a place where I'll be happy?" The answer is probably no. Plus I was so spoiled by my last job, I may never be comfortable in a traditional j-job again. So away I go, it seems.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine being anywhere else. Scared shitless I'll have to find out what it's like somewhere else someday soon.

12. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile Member

Still in it, doing the only kind of job I ever want to have, and wondering how long it will last.

Draft saved Draft deleted