1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Here Is Still Working in Journalism?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jan 19, 2009.

?

Which of the following most accurately describes your situation?

1. I am not working in journalism by choice or due to layoff or firing.

22.1%
  2. I am working in journalism.

72.4%
  3. I never did work in journalism.

5.5%
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

20% ish from this site out of journalism (in a very unscientific poll).

I wonder if that's pretty much in line with the profession as a whole, or better, or worse.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I am...for another five weeks, anyway (forced to take a buyout).
    I'm no longer wedded to the business, and will take an appealing full-time job in or out of it if one comes along. In the meantime, I'm trying to find as much freelance work as I can (live-blogging for SI.com, contributing editor on a quiz site, writing freelance for a volleyball magazine). I'm also sniffing around a possible freelance gig doing APA editing (theses, dissertations, business papers) for a consulting firm - I get some practice on Mrs. T's papers as she pursues her bachelor's).
    It doesn't pay, but I've written some songs for the Providence Newspaper Guild Follies (in which I also perform), and it looks like I might actually get a couple into the show this year.

3. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

In, but as a freelancer and desk clerk.

At 37, I'm a stay at home dad and do this on nights and weekends. Have been offered a couple of F/T gigs with smaller newspapers, but turned them down after doing a little investigating about them.

Started working here over four years ago and I've gotten to cover a wide range of stories. Mostly preps, but also some spot ACC hoops, minor league baseball, and Game 7 of the NBA Western Conference semifinals. (we had a local connection).

I love it, but I'm not sure what the future may hold. My shop has laid off three F/T beat guys in the last 2 years, one of which I thought was absolutely untouchable.

I worked for two websites as well, producing content for each until one started boucning checks and the other stopped paying me inexplicably. One of them still owes me about $800.

But I keep telling myself that I get paid to watch and write about sports, and I don't consider that to be a bad gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted