1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has been suspended?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Good God where can I get me some of that?

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You know I love you too, Moddy. But I was just so shocked that I was getting ejected from the newsroom for simply tossing a paper onto my desk that I probably wasn't thinking clearly. Plus, I was the only one in the department who could design pages and it was the week of the race, so they weren't sending me home anytime soon.

Plus those were back in my hot-headed days. I wasn't old enough to drink then. I'm much more composed now.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Separate incidents, my friend. So no gendarmes were involved or anything.

Oh, and the getting off was on my own time, dammit.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If someone was disciplined every time they cursed on deadline or threw a proof down in disgust or yelled at one of the interns or prep or agate guys because the person who they're really mad at isn't there, we'd be losing the majority of the people in this business.

When I was an intern, one of the DSEs told me, "99 percent of the things said in the newsroom on deadline should be forgotten about as soon as you leave the building."

I'm not condoning yelling, screaming or any of the bad behavior that happens when deadlines are tight and for reasons out of your control you know you're going to be late, but those who follow that rule usually last a lot longer than those who hold grudges and let things fester.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear it, SC. I never saw you as that kind of guy. But, yeah, everybody has moments (even me, maybe).

Mizzou, we've discussed yelling before on here. It happens. Yelling TO someone is one thing, yelling AT someone is something altogether different. Being smug or flip toward a supervisor is NEVER a good idea. It will ALWAYS bite you in the ass, one way or another.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I used to have those moments a lot when I was younger. But that just immaturity that I think -- for the most part -- I've grown out of. That was just a tense place to work. I've never worked in an environment where everybody was so unhappy.

I'd never yell at you moddy. I'm afraid you'd beat me over the head with birkenstocks.

7. Moderator1

I keep tacks in the soles just for that reason.
    Two on top of the head and then thwack thwack across the face.
    Does the trick every time.

8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Never been suspended, but I have been censored. And that pisses me off to no end considering I write in a country where no one has the legal right to shut up another person.

9. Moderator1

What country is that?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The government got involved with what you wrote?

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

which we are anyway, for unrelated reasons.

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

No. My publisher.

Draft saved Draft deleted