1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has been suspended?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's happened to me twice.

Once early in my career I wrote a story that got a player suspended. At the game, a fan yelled out my name and threw a drink that hit me in the face. I saw the guy who did it and I threw the drink back at him while screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs.

That got me a week.

Several years later, an asshole ME cracked down on freelance and gave about seven of us a week off because we were freelancing without having the paper approve it ahead of time. This wasn't entirely true. Our SE had told us "just don't be stupid" when freelancing and for the most part let us do whatever we wanted. After someone on news side did something stupid, the rest of us were made examples of.

That got us a week.

Curious what other stories people are willing to share...

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Good stuff.

I'm not proud of this, but I got into it with an AD over something I wrote. He called me a name, I called him one back, he called my boss and, presto, I got a week without pay.

To this day, I taunt him about "tattling on me."

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess fighting and name-calling is taboo at some shops.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've punched a hole in a door and called my boss one of George Carlin's no-no words and never got suspended.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No suspension, just fired. Most egregious case when I wrote a preview, though it was edited down before it got into the paper.

6. Mizzougrad96

Shortly after my slap on the wrist for freelancing, one of our slot guys called a female writer the c-word (not to her face, but to the entire office) and didn't even get a stern talking to.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That will move you right past suspension at most places.

8. Mizzougrad96

Unfortunately, not at any place I've worked.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was that the two girls one cup thing? I never clicked on that.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Not since high school.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Funny. I worked with a guy who once called a female ME that little word. At that point, I should have known what I was getting into.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

At one of my previous stops, a married man in our sports department got suspended for a week for sexually harassing another male sportswriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted