1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has a crown?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Nov 29, 2007.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I just had a root canal and crown. First dental work I'd had done in a long, long time. My dental insurance was essentially worthless. My out of pocket expense was more than $800. You've got to factor in X-ray costs if you haven't been to a dentist in a while.

But mine was probably more expensive because my dentist has a high-tech system in his office that takes a 3-D picture of your tooth and then allows him to create the crown using a thing that looks like a computer-aided drafting station that you'd see at an engineering firm, or something. He draws in on the screen where the crown is going to fit and then the system creates the crown right there in the office. They didn't have to send it out to a lab to be done. Saved me from having to come back for a second visit.

Of course, there was other stuff the dentist found. It's like what happens when you take your car to the mechanic ... the second you open your mouth he starts finding stuff he can bill you for. I was impressed with the technology, though. It's pretty cool.

But I was surprised how little my dental insurance covered. I ended up having a four-figure total of work done, but they do 12 months free financing, which is nice. Moral of the story: Don't spend years blowing off going to the dentist, because even with insurance, it's damn expensive if you run into a real problem.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn right I've got a crown. And it's a babe magnet, let me tell you:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Had (quite) a few of these on Tuesday and I'm still feeling dehydrated. Drank water like a fish yesterday and still have that incredibly dry taste in my mouth. Crown doesn't get me hung over but it sure dehydrates me.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Of course I have a crown.

I'm British.

5. o_t --
    Really?
    I didn't think anyone under 60 drank the Crown.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fenian:
    I play a lot in these free-roll Texas Hold 'Em tournaments in bars. The business that runs the tournaments makes its money by getting the bar to pay something like $3 a head for those who show up to play. The bar makes its money back by selling more food and drink. The players are encouraged to buy food and drink because they get chips for purchases. Crown Royal is one of the sponsors, so you get more chips for buying Crown. Seagram's used to be a sponsor so back then I would drink 7 & 7 (prompting the line on occasion "My best hand tonight was the 7 & 7.")

Crown is pretty damn smooth, but, like I said, dehydrates the hell out of me.

7. An entire world of which I wasn't aware.
    Thanks.
    Crown's just one of those things I never got around to trying. Hennessy's is another.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Has a gold crown.
    [​IMG]

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just got back.

Wasn't as bad as I thought, although there was enough grinding to last me a long time. This temporary thing I have in right now feels weird as hell, and my face is still numb, which I hate.

Good news is my insurance will cover all but $170 of the roughly $1,000 bill, or so I was told by the helpful woman up front.

I also got a scalp massage afterward from my ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to work there. :D

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I crown thee the queen.
    [​IMG]

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For your sake, I hope at least part of that phrase is a euphemism ...

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Nope. She stopped in the room, sat down toward the end of the procedure and rubbed my head for a little bit. I thought it was a nice thing for the fucking bitch to do. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted