1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has the worst rush defense in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by westcoastvol, Oct 5, 2007.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm more of a college guy and a friend of mine wants to know.

Thx in advance.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Miami is close, if not at the top.

Saw the stat in the paper this morning. I believe they give up something like 191 yards per game. (Can't remember the exact number but it's up there).

Worst than I orginally thought. 199 yards per game (thats 797 yards in four games). Next is Denver (724 yards, 181 per game).

Easily found on nfl.com's sortable stats page

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Miami in a landslide, at 199.3. Denver (181), Cleveland(160), St. Louis(157), Cincy (152), and Buffalo (148) are all bad, too.

4. Among Teams With A Real Shot, I thin Indy's rush defense has gone pretty far backwards this season.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

After four games, we're using stats to determine this? Unless each team has played the exact same schedule under the exact same circumstances, the stats can't answer this question yet.

Maybe after October, at the earliest.

This is why I get annoyed when people make a big deal out of who leads the nation in total this or total that in college football in September.

Miami might very well have the worst rushing defense in the NFL, but basing it simply on rushing yards allowed per game -- after four weeks -- is misleading and premature.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Now that Cincinnati is down to like 1 healthy linebacker, their rush defense is terrible. They're not the statistical worse, but damn, do they suck right now. Although, are they getting a LB back from suspension soon?

7. Speedway

Speedway Member

Last week's "gashing" by Oakland in Miami says it all. Miami allowed 299 total rushing yards including a career high 179 yards by Justin Fargas with Lamont Jordan out of the game.

8. Miami's not exactly playing a first-place schedule.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good points. I should stay off these threads. I don't have time to watch the NFL, so I don't know jack about it.

I just cringe when I see overall team stats discussed after four games.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Sometimes 4 games is a good indication. This isn't baseball, basketball, hockey, or any other sport that plays 80+ games. 4 games is a quarter of the schedule.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but the Colts were terrible against the run most of last season. They made some adjustments late and turned it around in the playoffs.

Isn't Bob Sanders hurting? That makes a big difference.

12. boots

boots New Member

Indy's rush defense is awful. It is a glaring weakness. But teams have a problem exploiting it because the Colts put points on the board and they can do it in a hurry. As a result, teams often find themselves in a beat the clock scenario to keep up.
    There are a few teams that exploit the Colts without feeling panicky. New England is arguably the best at it because they know they can score from anywhere on the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted