1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has the best college football program?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Marvin, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

1. USC
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Ohio State
    4. Nebraska
    5. Miami
    6. Michigan
    7. Alabama (it is their poll)
    8. Penn St
    9. Oklahoma
    10. Texas

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but for everyone of those, there's two of these

[​IMG]

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe they'll create their own little poll and vote the national title to Alabama for each of the last 30 years...

4. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

In 1973, Alabama finished No. 1 and Notre Dame No. 2 in the final AP poll of the regular season (or maybe it was UPI). Whatever poll it was, they didn't recast after the bowl games.

Notre Dame, if I remember right, destroyed Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Tide fans, and the university, still proudly wave the '73 national title flag.

I think they've got a few more dubious national titles as well. Pitt is the other school notorious for inventing new national championships.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, Abe, ND won 24-23 and it was one hell of a game.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

And just to be clear, the 73 title is nowhere near the sketchiest title Alabama claims.

Honest to God, two years ago, they decided to no longer recognize a national championship from a year they had been and, instead, claim one from a different year. Seriously. I'm not sure which years, but they released a statement saying "we're no longer claiming the title from (X year) and instead claiming the title from (Y year)."

Out of the 12 titles the school claims, I believe six or seven are legit. Hell, for one of their titles, they had two losses while two other teams finished the year undefeated, and one of them beat Alabama.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UPI voted Bama No. 1, the last year they cut off voting before the bowls. By the T-News' own rules, that one won't count, since they're going AP only.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gee, I wonder who was left out of that list? Could it be the same program that was the nation's last to go an entire regular season without giving up a point?

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

What about Division III's Mount Union?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, Buffalo really has to be on there. It doesn't get much worse than that. And how would Rutgers make it on there anymore? They're actually an upper-division team in that pitiful Big East these days...

A great run, but the ultimate example of apples vs. oranges. The Mount Union guy has a whole different set of rules, whole different set of problems, whole different set of challenges.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dukeback probably should be higher than No. 10. I know 10-12 years ago they went to a bowl game, but since then has that squad beaten a decent team? Any decent team?

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No. But you probably have them about right.

Gotta pity Temple more, though. At least Illinois and Indiana are sucking in a decent conference. Temple's going to suck for a few years in the MAC until it finally decides to pull the plug.

Draft saved Draft deleted