1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has a BlackBerry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 2, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got a Blackberry and love it. Among other things, it's great for checking NFL scores during the boring parts in church [/goingtohell]

2. accguy

accguy Member

Patchs, webby,

How often does your treo freeze up and have to be reset? Just curious as that's one thing the BB folks claim as an advantage.

I know some people who have some of the newer BBs and the phone is much improved.

3. more interesting than listening to any of that A Ghost Is Born stuff

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Funny, I once posted on SportsJournalists.com at a Coldplay concert.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have a Verizon Treo 650 and it rarely freezes up, I can't even guess a number because it's so low.
    The key is not to put a lot of 3rd party software on it. I have a few 3rd parties and have no problems.
    I was at a wedding on Sat and was checking ESPN's WAP site for college scores, my wife was giving me hell, but oh well. BTW, it was at the reception and not church.
    Also, VZW doesn't sell the 650 anymore, it's the 700P, same phone, just upgraded to handle VZW's high-speed wireless Internet.
    And one last thing, Bluetooth rocks.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just got the new Blackberry Pearl.

This thing is great. Tried a couple other gadgets over the last month, including the new Blackjack (great browser, horrifyingly bad keyboard)...the Pearl just blows them all away. It's very small, spells all the words for you, AND gets into SJ easily. And for AOL users, it brings your email right to you without the whole sign-in deal.

Very excited about this.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great thread. I've been ordered by the government to get a new cell phone. My old cell doesn't have a GPS chip in it, and the government says all phones must have one by Dec. 31st, or they will shut them off.

The reason? If I were to get into an accident, 911 needs to be able to find out where I am...

Yeah, Riiiiiggghhhttt...

Anyway, I'm looking at the Motorola Q, the Treo, the Blackberry... Must work with Verizon. I want -- first and foremost -- a good phone. Also -- decent internet access, and surprisingly, a high-quality camera for stills.

Mr. Lugs has a Treo -- older version. It's just "aiight" as a phone. Lately the camera has been tempermental (sometimes the device shuts off when you try to e-mail a photo.) He loves it for e-mailing, though.

I read all the reviews on c-net, and the Motorola Q seems like the best device for me... but then somebody told me it's buggy -- they're having all sorts of problems with it.

After reading this thread, I guess I need to strongly consider the Blackberry.

8. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

I've got a BB Pearl and would recommend it. As 21 said, it automatically downloads email (not just with AOL). It is 2-letter-per-key typing but it "guesses" what words you mean as you type. Most of the time it is right. Pretty slick little deal.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We looked into BlackBerry Pearls but probably won't get them because of the cameras. We don't want someone kept out of a locker room or courtroom or whatever because they've got a camera with them.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My good friend and boon companion David B. Fay's Bow Tie has one, and although he seems to have cracked the face of his "when his TV remote got tossed that way" (kinda sounds like Jimmie Johnson's broken wrist 'splanation, if you ask me), he seems to enjoy it. And, as he so accurately pointed out to me recently -- minutes before denying my request to BEAT HIS ASS on a local golf course -- I am too pussy-whipped to get one.

rb

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've got a Blackberry 8700 and while I mostly like it, I liked my 8260 (I think that's the model) a little bit better in some ways. The screen and the graphics on the 8700 are much better, but after a month, I'm still finding the keys a little bit more slippery than the 8260 and therefore, I don't type as fast on it. It's company-issued and the phone's not activated, so I can't speak to the sound/call quality. I highly recommend having a mobile device for email. I have found it incredibly freeing to not have to be tied down to the computer to stay connected and the ability to google things on the go has saved me in many situtations.

12. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Lugs, my wife and I got Motorola Q's a few weeks back and we both just love them. 1/4 of the price of a Treo, about 1/2 the size, plus it gets better reception and downloads web content much faster.

Draft saved Draft deleted