1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who got the Oden scoop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JonathanG, Apr 19, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have a dog in this hunt, and rarely comment when I do, but just note.

Just because a reporter writes that he has independently confirmed breaking news ("told XYZ.com") doesn't mean he's claiming anything more than that he confirmed it independently, and didn't take it from another source.

As for who got it first, we used to care a lot and now we care some depending on the story. But it's mostly an in-the-biz, fun exercise about pride (for the writer to know he had it first, and for the site to know they had that writer's story) -- UNLESS a single person at a single media outlet develops a reputation for getting things first, meaning that's where people go first when there's something rumored to be happening.

Then, yes, it matters a bit.

(But why people would get pissed or annoyed that somebody would be happy to have a story before the rest of the world simply as a matter of professional pride continues to mystify me. This is what we do for a living. Getting to a source quickly and getting a story ahead of your colleagues can be fun, plain and simple.)

2. ESPN radio is saying today that "Andy Katz reports" that Odom is going pro, insinuating that they're breaking the story. Didn't the Indianapolis Star have this a week ago?

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's hardly news... Lamar Odom has been in the pros for a while. Mr. Katz is slipping.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Agreed. I scooped my colleagues a few weeks ago and it felt pretty good. Of course, when I get scooped it feels like my balls were fondled by Edward Scissorhands for a few minutes, then it passes and I move on.

5. I didn't say a damn thing about personal responsibility. Obviously a kid should hold up his or her end. But, when major colleges are graduating players (or, more likely, not graduating) that can't read it's a problem. Our failure to challenge the institutions on this is, frankly, shameful. We have a responsibility to do more than scoreboard report.

As for the question on the thread...the reason I don't care who got the "scoop" is because it's not a scoop. My mom likely knew that Oden was going pro.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That pretty much sums up the "scooping" process. Have fun with that sixth grade minded quoters. In the big picture breaking something like this isn't huge, but consistently doing it makes an impression. Your boss will certainly appreciate it and your next boss will definitely take notice if you've shown a propensity for breaking stories.

7. Jeff Goodman of FOX Sports had been ahead of the game on most of the breaking news in the past few weeks. He seems to get it up before everyone else, so he's the first one I check.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Ball's on the tee. ... Anyone?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

As far as I'm concerned, the Indianapolis Star broke this over a week ago. We all know that sometimes when we get ahold of information way before we're supposed to, it's disputed publicly and then confirmed when the time's right. This has happened more than once on my beat.

I write that so-and-so is transferring

Coach says no he's not, he's just considering it.

Three days later, press release saying so-and-so is transferring.

I'm guessing Greg Oden told his pops he's going pro, and pops wasn't aware it wasn't supposed to be chirped. The Indy Star broke this story.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

NCAAM - David Aldridge reports that Andy Katz reported that the Columbus Times-Dispatch reported that Greg Oden's dad told Fox Sports news that his son was was leaving school early

Draft saved Draft deleted