1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who got the Oden scoop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JonathanG, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Pi

Pi Member

God, can we stop with this dick measuring? Who cares who got the scoop? The more interesting thing to me is who used a named source first.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP named the source as Al Powell at 9:40 Eastern.

3. Honestly…This is hardly hard-hitting enterprise stuff. Greg Oden is leaving Ohio State. Shocking.

Wake me up when someone writes a thoughtful piece on how freaking unethical is that these institutions make millions off these kids—the vast majority of which will never play a second in the NBA--without bothering to, you know, educate them.

That would be a story worth getting the tape measure out for.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Everyone has had Conley Sr. on speed-dial or quick contacts for a month, now.
    His lips move as fast as his son can go baseline to baseline.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Guess I missed the part about the athlete being somewhat responsible for the amount and quality of the education he/she receives, in exchange for playing sports, by actually showing up for class and taking an active role in their education.

You know. Silly me.

It's amazing that every Division I signee doesn't make it in professional athletics, and might need his/her education as a fallback option.

For every Oden, there's 100 who don't make it. Do I feel sorry for them? Not one little bit. Are they expolited? Not at all. You knew the rules when you signed up for the game. Get out of bed and go to class.

6. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Getting back to the original subject of the post, it wouldn't shock me if Goodman had the scoop. He's been kicking much ass on the college basketball beat for a while now.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

The Indy Star reported virtually this identical information regarding the same three players at least a week ago, apparently the rest of the country doesn't pay much attention to the Indianapolis press.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So true.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Figuring out who "got the scoop" on something like this is like guessing who got the first egg roll at the chinese buffet yesterday.

The public doesn't care.

10. but this is a message board for sports writers. we might care.

did JonathanG say anything about the public?

personally, I'm intrigued by the mechanisms of such stories, how it goes from a single news outlet reporting something to everybody claiming it as their own within 30 minutes

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Exactly. I don't think anyone is saying someone should write a column about landing the scoop for the public's sake. But on a sports journalists board it seems like a perfectly acceptable topic to kick around.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but at some schools they steer kids into easy classes so that they remain eligible. They don't necessarily lead to a degree or anything, though. So after four or five years, you still may be 2-3 years away from a degree.

That's wrong. The colleges should help these kids toward a degree, not just help them stay eligible.

Draft saved Draft deleted