1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Gets Teixeira?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2008.

?

Mark Teixeira will be the most sought after free agent after the season. Who does he end up signing

1. New York Yankees

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. New York Mets

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Atlanta Braves

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Baltimore Orioles

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They tried stockpiling for the future in 2001 when Ripken announced he wouldn't be coming back and after they lost Mussina to the Yankees, and then they went out and pissed their savings away a few years later. Angelos likes to spend, contrary to the perception he gets sometimes, but not smartly.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The 31 RBI are no doubt helped by hitting directly behind a guy hitting .418 for the year. Without Chipper, you could project him out to a 15 HR, 75 RBI year.

That ain't gonna help at auction time, that's for sure.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's all this bullshit about the Yankees worrying about Giambi's contract "coming off the books?"

The Yankees have an operating budget of $900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00

Whoever they want to sign, they will sign.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Teixeira? Gimme a break.

Here's your premiere free agent this offseason:

[​IMG]

Yankees will be going hard after him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Reminds me of his '04 season (5 homers through the first two months) when he went on 38 homers with 110 RBIs or his '06 season (six homers through first two months) when he went on to hit 33 homers with 112 RBIs. Mark will hit.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

He'll stay in Atlanta. He went to GT, has lots of land in the area and seems to be pretty comfortable.

That said, I would not be shocked if he ends up in New York.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's the time of year, spnited. Teixeira has always been a slow starter.

And TSP, feel free to start a Sabathia thread if you like.

Edit: In other words, what Cran said. That year was the most extreme example, but Teixeira is usually a second-half hitter.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And I'd love to see it but it won't happen.

9. I agree that the Yankees will be going hard after Sabathia. I see the two teams in play for Sabathia as being the Indians and Yankees. The Yankees desperately need to sign one or the other (Sabathia or Teixeira) if not both. I can easily see Sabathia taking a discount to stay with the Indians. If the Yankees lose out on Sabathia then they will be crazy to sign Teixeira.

Of course everything we are discussing now could be greatly changed by a deadline deal but I don't see that happeneing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Oh and when I said crazy to sign Teixeira - I meant out of their heads desperate to get the deal done at any cost.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he could play right an outfield of Soriano - Fuk U Do Me - Teixeira wouldn't suck.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why? Sabathia's the No. 1 free agent this offseason. Teixeira will go to whoever doesn't get C.C. Of course, if the Indians continue to suck, Sabathia could very well be traded by the All-Star Game. The team that trades for him would want to sign him long-term. That could thin the field for the Teixeira Offseason World Tour.

Jim Thome's a free agent as well. (Presuming the White Sox don't pick up his $13 mil option.) Someone might do just as well to sign him for a year or two than throw tons of cash at Teixeira.

Yankees will re-sign Abreu before they bring Teixeira on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted