1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Gets Teixeira?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2008.

?

Mark Teixeira will be the most sought after free agent after the season. Who does he end up signing

1. New York Yankees

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. New York Mets

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Atlanta Braves

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Baltimore Orioles

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. The Yankees have Jason Giambi's contract (plus a number of other contracts) coming off the books and they will have a big need at 1st. The New York Mets will have Carlos Delgado's contract (plus a number of others) coming off the books and they have just as big a need at 1st. The Braves are perhaps Teixeira's preferred team but will they be able to win a bidding war? The Orioles are Teixeira's hometown team and a last place finish may make them overreact and overspend for the hometown kid.

I don't see the Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers getting involved.

Who do you think ends up with Teixeira and why?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Those four (and maybe Seattle) are the only places I can see Tex landing.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will be the Yankees or the Mets. Braves don't have enough money to be his "preferred" team nor does Baltimore or any other franchise. He's taken the risk by not letting a club buy out his early free agency years and he's put up great numbers. Now that increased risk is going to turn into increased reward.

4. I don't see Teixeira as a West Coast person and I don't see the Mariners risking having a Richie Sexson Part II.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think he stays in Atlanta.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think he ends up with the Yankees, especially if they miss the playoffs this season. As you mentioned, they need a first baseman and Teixeira is young enough that signing him to a long-term deal makes some sense. It is perfect timing as well with Giambi's contract coming off the books. The Yankees need pitching more than they need another bat, but it's not like they don't have the cash to acquire Teixeira and a pitcher.

After bailing on Santana this past offseason, I don't think the Yankees will allow the Mets to beat them out on Teixeira.

I just don't see the Orioles stepping up to win a bidding war with the Yankees, though it would make some sense and they have the resources. The Braves' only shot to keep him is to extend him before he reaches free agency and I doubt that happens with a Boras client.

Edit: I can't see him ending up in Seattle, either. He is an East Coast guy and he is going to have too many options closer to home.

7. This is the perfect storm for Boras and Teixeira and I'm asking because I really don't know what to think.

If the Yankees finish 3rd in the AL East behind the Red Sox and Tampa Bay - then Hank Steinbrenner will not take no for an answer. He will throw whatever it takes at Teixeira to get the deal done.

If the Mets flounder - Omar may look at Teixeira as his chance to keep his job (think Duquette and Manny a few years ago) and they may have as much as $33 million coming off the books. 1st is the biggest need for the Mets and they may not take no for an answer either.

If the Orioles finish last in the AL East - then they may have similar pressures. They will need a marquee name to get people to start coming back to Camden Yards. There has been an unspoken promise that Teixeira would be an Oriole once he reached free agency and the Orioles may become desperate to fufill this "promise". (BYH has been preaching Teixeira to the Oriole for years for example).

The perfect storm. Teixeira may be looking at A-Rod money.

Atlanta is the wild card. Teixeira may decide he can only water ski behind so many boats and go for love over money.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't see the Orioles spending $120M on a first baseman, even a hometown kid, when they have many problems elsewhere.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Question is, how much will Hank really be willing to work with Boras? After the whole A-Rod fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees avoid Boras clients.

Oh, and NO WAY he's looking at A-Rod money from ANYBODY.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are Teixeira's current numbers -- 5 HR, 31 RBI, .267 BA, .352 OBP -- a result of him feeling the pressure of playing for a big contact?
    If so, I wonder how he reacts to the pressure of playing in New York after getting that big contract

11. The Orioles trimmed payroll from $94 million last year to just $68 million this year. I wonder if in part that was in order to stockpile some cash for Teixeira? I have no doubt that the Orioles have the money and I think they will make a big push for Teixeira. I just don't know if that will be good enough to sign him.

Who knows - maybe he really wants to play for the Orioles?

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Does Washington have spare cash? They certainly need a few hitters.

Draft saved Draft deleted