1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who gets credit for Game Winning Goal?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by huntsie, Feb 3, 2007.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Had this scenario play out at a game I covered last night. Not even the winning coach is sure who gets credit for the game winning goal.
    Here's the situation: 1-1 end of regulation and 10 minute OT.
    Three shooters each for the shootout.
    Team A gets first shot and misses.
    Jones from Team B scores.
    Team A misses second shot.
    Smith from Team B scores.
    No need for third shot.
    So who gets credit for game winning goal? Jones, who scored the first goal of the shootout. Or Smith, who scored the goal which ensured Team A could not come back to tie?
    I'm honestly not sure...

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's a good one.

Second guy.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

That's how they credited it on the game stats. Winning coach thought the first guy. The guy I ran it by on the desk at deadline thought the first guy too. I can honestly see it both ways. Just wonder if its written down anywhere officially. Elliotte?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Couldn't find anything in the NHL rule book but it's a 312 page PDF file.

I've asked Huggy--he's in a scouts' meeting right now so you gotta figure one of them will know definitively.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

First guy.

Gave his team the lead they never relinquished.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but I noticed that in Yahoo! fantasy hockey you aren't credited with a game-winning goal if your player scores the game-winner in a shootout.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because it's not a goal in your stats.

BTW, Huggy says that in the OHL, it'd be the first guy.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I agree with this.

But in a regulation game, the GW goal isn't given to the player who gives his team they never relinquish.

Example: If Team A leads 3-1 and Team B scores a goal in the third, Team A wins 3-2 and the third scorer gets the game-winner.

9. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

NHL would give it to Jones.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Jones' goal gave his team its final lead. Why wouldn't he get the GWG?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Actually, they wouldn't. In the NHL, shootout goals don't count on the season stats. Edmonton-Detroit went to an extended shootout earlier this year. Torres won it in like the seventh or eighth round, but does not have a GW goal credited to him this year.

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

He wouldn't get credit for the goal, but he'd get credit for the shootout winner. If you look at the scoresheets after games, the only shootout goal officially recorded is the one that ended up being the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted