1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is getting GD sick and MF tired of "times are tough" commercials?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I think Starman means the private sector bringing it up in advertising, as a means to sell you goods; seems counterproductive.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. When a bad economy becomes a marketing point, there's something wrong there.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You need a special friend to do that. ;)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It really was. And he even managed to do it without a political dig, which makes it all the more impressive.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I've seen some of the local variety, and it makes me want to punch a clown.

"Don't buy if you can't afford it, but can you afford not to buy right now?" That was the line from a fucking car dealer.

"Times are tough, so spend, spend, spend. And if you hang yourself because you can't pay the tab, well at least I made my sale." -- my approach

6. I had to google it and it was funny anyway.
    Well-struck, o_t.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama was obviously told by members of his inner circle that he was marching right down Jimmy Carter's "malaise" territory, and to lighten up. Thus the sudden burst of goofy diversions like the NCAA brackets, the Leno appearance, etc etc.

The continual media barrage of "tough times," now being amplified by the fucking commercials, are a huge part of the problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted