1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is getting GD sick and MF tired of "times are tough" commercials?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes we know the economy is in the shitter. Yes yes yes we know people are losing jobs. Yes yes yes we are trying to get better value for our money. Yadda yadda yadda.

We don't need to hear about it every four minutes, and we don't need to hear about it in commercials.

Pretty much any company that runs one of these commercials goes on my personal boycott list.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'm doing what I can to spend our way out of this recession. I tried helping out the Spokane economy last weekend, but there's only so much one person can do.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of dig the Chevorlet "rally cap" ads and the Bank of America ads vo'd by Keifer Sutherland are pretty good. You figure if Jack Bauer is optimistic about something, you should be too.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

these commercials are accomplishing just the opposite of what they're intended to do. people see those commercials and think "i'll be damned if i'm spending another dollar this week."

this approach is hurting sells.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This thread brought to you by Schooner Tuna, the tuna with a heart.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Awesome.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Any company using any version of "stimulus" in its advertising makes me want to boycott whatever they're selling.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Those companies can stimulate my ass.

Wait.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Chevy commercial gets on my nerves, though I do like the BOA spot.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Give them a break, Starman; times are tough.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm cringing as I bring this up, but a month or so ago when our president was doing the same thing, wasn't he praised for "speaking the truth"?

Draft saved Draft deleted