1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is fed up with Bill Belichick??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by robertwisor, Oct 21, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought the same thing.

Plus, you know, it was against Shanahan, so that made it even better. :D

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If my only quarterback was Matt Cassel I'd run the two minute drill every chance I got.

And yes, Halberstam's book on Belichek gives you a better understanding of why he is the way he is.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

B-B-B-B-But, isn't Shanahan an ESPN-proclaimed genius too?

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The league mandate regarding what coaches wear is one of the worst things the NFL has ever done. No one is running to their local Sports Authority because the linebackers coach of their favorite team is wearing logoed apparel.

5. Would Mrs. Belichick and Mr. Shenocca also be acceptable answers to the thread's title?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not a Belichick fan on any level, but I know I am completely incapable of feeling one bit of sympathy for Mike Shanahan.

Let's not forget, the lovely act of calling timeout as the ball is being snapped was invented by the Mastermind, as he loves to be called.

Also, I don't care what the scenario is, you cannot run up the score in professional sports. Don't want them to score? Don't suck.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"he felt it necessary to ridicule the apparel deal without breaking the rules....."

Hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Didn't Reebok make the suits for Del Rio and Nolan?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, they did.

Complete with an RBK logo on the sleeve.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Two points, because it is something I have written about. Let's say you are the NFL and Reebok offers you $250 million to be the official apparel manufacturer of the league and have all the coaches wear Reebok apparel on the sidelines. If you are an NFL owner, are you going to walk away from your share of $250 million and declare it "one of the worst things the NFL has ever done"? Are the huge TV contracts that make the NFL so lucrative bad things too?

Second point: In 2001, the year before its NFL deal, Reebok sold $912 million of sports apparel worldwide. By the end of 2002, when the NFL deal was first established, those sales had grown to $1.1 billion. Reebok doesn't break out what percentage of its sales come from licensed apparel, but conservative estimates are that NFL-licensed apparel generates anywhere from $400 million to $500 million in U.S. sales for Reebok every year now. So it's a safe bet to say that even if players and coaches displaying a Reebok logo have nothing to do with it, Reebok has profited from its licensing agreement. And having the Reebok logo at game venues in any way they can get it displayed, certainly isn't hurting them.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wrong.
    I've got several pieces of NFL gear that I saw on the sideline and liked enough to buy. It wasn't because they were wearing it, but I saw it because they were.
    I waited like four years for the league to finally make a logoed, long-sleeved performance t-shirt available. I waited a year to get a crewneck sweatshirt because all they sold were hoodies even though injured players wearing crewnecks on the sideline.
    So, sorry, but I'm one who has. Probably one of many.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I have an NFL Equipment hoodie that I mostly saw being worn by the coaching staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted