1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is ESPN blackballing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 26, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, Jonesy, tell you what. When you turn down their offer, tell them you know this guy who's almost as good ... then send 'em my way.

'Cause I'm taking the cash and running.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kellerman could be good, on TV. Problem is, he's a one-trick guy . . .

Max = boxing

SAS = NBA

You know how it goes . . .

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Don't forget what happened with KO. And now he's back for an hour a day with DP on the radio side.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, the fact that Olbermann is back on the radio is either proof that ESPN is willing to forgive and forget or an example of how much power Dan Patrick wields there... I'm betting it's the latter...

Of course, didn't ESPN prevent Craig Kilborn from coming back when they did the retro SportsCenters a year or two ago?

Does anyone know if Conlin is on this list? I heard a rumor that SAS might have had something to do with Conlin not appearing on ESPN anymore, but I honestly have no idea if there's any truth to that.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm taking the Billy C. at home semi ret'd taking care of wifey story at face value,
    unless shown otherwise . . .

6. cortez

cortez Member

heard 'ol Trev doing that long-awaited showdown between Navy and Tulsa on CSTV last week

7. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Congrats on keeping your integrity. But there are countless others (many of them good friends of mine) who would gladly follow the money if given the opportunity. They wouldn't even think about it for longer than 30 seconds.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Just like Harold Reynolds was its best Baseball Tonight analyst. They're not interested in keeping good people as much as keeping people who stir the pot. Which is why we're forced to endure Quite Frankly.

9. Mizzougrad96

Reynolds was a scumbag and Aldridge was boring and didn't break nearly as much news as they wanted... I'm guessing ESPN was more worried about Aldridge putting viewers to sleep and that's why he was given the boot...

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That would be great ... no Around the Horn, no Paige-Bayless shouting matches. But PTI must stay.

11. Mizzougrad96

The columnists on ATH are paid $500 per appearance. That's for two hours of work. I've heard that guests on The Sports Reporters get between $1,500 and $2,000. Paige and Bayless both make $800K a year to do what they do. I've heard that DLB's deal with ESPN is about $500K a year. Apparently Wilbon's is $900K and rising fast as soon as he's added to the NBA coverage team...

In short, the columnists aren't going anywhere...

12. XXXX

XXXX Member

conlin is on a semi retirement. he decided he wants to spend more time with his wife. he only does about 2 columns a week for the daily news during phillies and eagles seasons. he takes a month off every year. he still writes a great column and drops a lot of knowledge on everyone. he alerted philadelphia about ryan howard 3 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted