1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is ESPN blackballing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

You know, I think it's a pretty gross generalization that every one of us would submit to the ESPN shuffle if they paid us enough. I know plenty of writers, myself included, who are happy with their lives and their incomes being writers. I never wanted to be anything else, and I still don't -- not a talking head, and sure as shit not a "personality."

You ever seen Gary Smith on TV?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i dunno, i think i'd watch 'drinkin' with jones'

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially at Nye's

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I agree, as always, with The Jones.

But the word "blackballing" means they're preventing you from ever joining the club.

I think what we're seeing in all the examples cited here are folks who were awarded a membership, and then, for whatever reason, chose to piss in the clubhouse fireplace on the night of the Spring mixer.

Or, like Mr. Whitlock, to set themselves gloriously ablaze as they were being shown the door.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Well, they love Jay Mariotti.

What happened to Dibble?

6. fully unemployed

fully unemployed New Member

Yes, I have.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but not on the media whore circuit... occasionally yes.

8. fully unemployed

fully unemployed New Member

Glorifying Radio, for those who are might be ready to pounce. C'mon... this is the same studio that produced Gigli.....

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't worked for them since the 1995 Extreme (not X) Games.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

At least he went out like Whitlock, calling it as he saw it. I'll take him over that "aw shucks, not me" charlatan Coach Holtz in a nanosecond.

11. ned racine

ned racine Member

i was told i could never work tv at espn because i did not scream,was not as smooth as the cold side of the pillow,did not say goodbye by saying i am out and did not think i was god.........
    tried espn radio but they said i could not take phone calls..imagine sports radio not having callers...
    then got blackballed by .com cause my boxing story did not compare the thrillah in manilla to the title fight on the Contender..

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While Holtz is annoying, Alberts went out because he didn't want to be second fiddle anymore to Corso and Herbstreit -- not for calling it as he saw it....if I remember correctly

Draft saved Draft deleted