1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else but Rudy......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Clinton and Bush are two sides of the same coin -- polarizing figures who have opponents that just can't stand them, for various reasons.

I know liberals like to believe the divisiveness in national politics began in 2001. A lot of conservatives believe it happend eight years earlier.

Both sides have a lot of muck on their hands.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For me personally, it seems like it began in 1995. Were both sides responsible? Sure. But I do wish the new Democratic majority would have been as forceful as the new GOP majority was in 1995.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Two things with that, Desk...
    The GOP majority came in with a shitty attitude and it shut the government down. Is that forceful or spiteful?
    Also, we all keep saying change, change, change...This mean we have to eliminate both Bushes and Clinton and go to 1980 Reagan again?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, I think it was spiteful. It's just that when they did it, it was leadership. When the Dems even think about it, it's obstructionist and unpatriotic. Clinton refused to play ball with the GOP, and the GOP stood its ground, unhelpful as it was. Bush refused to play ball with the Dems, and they caved.

5. Clinton was just as culpable in the government shutdown. The Dems could have done the same thing this time.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And you would have pilloried them, right? Would Bush have been just as culpable if the situation had occurred again?

Draft saved Draft deleted