1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you write for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 26, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Bingo, the days of just saying what happened are over. We need to provide perspective, analysis, and in certain instances, opinion.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I cover the Eagles in Philadelphia. I don't write for the casual fan, or the first-time reader. I don't assume everybody knows everything ... if they did, they wouldn't need me, but I do assume a certain level of knowledge concerning the current long-running debates among the fan base. I don't laboriously recount everything every time, if that makes sense. I also try to make the stories fun for people who don't see it as life and death, on the off chance that any such people actually exist in my market.

3. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

As a beat-writer, I usually had the insiders in mind. I tried to do a great many features that might catch the eye of people who weren't caught up in the day-to-day of the team, but the primary audience was that team's fans.

Writing a column, it's much wider, and I must admit that I'm more gratified when someone who doesn't read the sports section comments on something I've written than whatever the usual sports-crazed suspects think. They're going to read no matter what. You don't want to take them for granted, and if you're doing your job, you'll write things that are compelling enough that both will read.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I write for The Man.

No, really, I write for the person I used to be. When I was a fan and the local team made a trade or roster move, I always looked forward to getting the paper to see what the writer whom I trusted had to say about it. Somewhere, there's a fan who wants to know what I have to say when something happens with his favorite team.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A little different, but I don't really ask who I'm writing for as much as I try to tell them something they don't know.

I'm probably like many of you -- reading a ton or hearing a ton -- so I tend to get excited/interested by learning or hearing something new. That's what I strive for, telling the audience something they've never heard before.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This may sound weird, but when I'm writing about one school in our area I'll try to write for fans of the other schools. At least for gamers. Realized this the other night when I was at one game and people kept asking me how the other schools in town were doing. Figured someone at School A will read my story to get caught up on School B.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

"For me! For me!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If the directive of your question is which audience, I'm afraid I don't have an answer.

If the directive of your question is my motivation, I write for my wife and two children. Everything else I tolerate with them in mind.

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I write for the cold ones I know I can crack open once I'm done writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted