1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you write for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My mom read my first few articles. The novelty has worn completely off, and it's no longer appealing to read my writings of sports about which she knows nothing. If I'm visiting the folks one of those few times a year, I think my dad reads my recent stories so he's got something to say, but that's about it. I don't even know if the rest of my family knows where I work now.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My grandmothers both have subscriptions to my newspaper (which I bought for them). It gives them something to brag about.

I stopped bringing copies of my paper home when my dad referred to it as "your lame ass newspaper." I was (and still am) so angry at him for that comment, I just decided to hell with him.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad didn't know what my major was until the summer before my senior year. He looked at a stack of newspapers filled with my name and words, and he said, "You write for the paper?"

I think he's still a little upset I didn't major in music.

4. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

My dad was also one of those "when are you going to get a real job?" types.

Thinking back, now that I'm out, I don't know who the hell I was writing for.

Parents: didn't give a shit.
    Myself: I just wanted to make the mortgage payment every month.
    Contests: I never entered any.
    Bosses: thought it was cool to boast about not knowing what was in the section.
    Readers: nobody cared. Nobody called, nobody wrote e-mails, nobody confronted me at games, nobody noticed when my job went unfilled and local content disappeared from the pages.

I was never a fabulous writer, and I wasn't trying to be. I wanted to be a good reporter. In my mind, there's a difference. I enjoyed the hell out of interviews, research, etc., but when it came to writing, I just didn't have "it." So I just wrote.

(Yeah, I'm really glad I got out of a lame-ass newspaper.)

Draft saved Draft deleted