1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you write for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I see that a lot in younger writers. It's a fine line. I read some stories that sound like, "Oh man this one is going into my clips because I made some funny pop culture reference!", but at the same time, you really have to "be" yourself when you write.

It's funny, you brought up the point of simple, effective writing. That's something I've learned over the years. I look back at my early clips and realize I was writing to impress. Who? I'm not sure.

A lot of writers don't realize you can write "simply" but still have a unique voice. It's a tough trick to pull off.

2. I write for my mortgage.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I write for Tommy Lee Jones.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I write for hooker money.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd ask if you were Eliott Spitzer, but journalists don't make enough to pay for those kinds of hookers. We're stuck with the crack whores.

6. I write for IPA

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Corrected.

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

After thinking about this for a minute, I realized I write for my dad. An accomplished writer who has comfortably raised a family of four solely by freelancing, he landed me my first paid sportswriting gig when I was 12. I initially wrote for him because he was the only one reading and editing my work in the early days, and I always had to make sure he could understand my copy because he's a defense writer and his sports knowledge outside of baseball is minimal.

Interesting thread, Batman.

9. Babs

Babs Member

I write the story I would want to read, but I suppose I have a sort of nebulous interested reader in mind when I'm putting it together. I assume they are intelligent and craving true understanding. I also think about the players/coaches too, to make sure they would agree it was fair.

I definitely do not write for other journalists, that is for sure. I couldn't care less if my peers like my work. As long as I like it and the readers like it, all is well.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My least favorite kind of ale.

11. NISB35

NISB35 New Member

I write for those interested in the game, team, player(s), etc.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

It may be wrong, but it feels so right.

Draft saved Draft deleted