1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do YOU underrate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Thurman Munson may be the most over-rated player of my lifetime.

2. Here's who Baseball-reference.com lists as the most similar players to Thurman Munson

Terry Steinbach (906)
    Tim McCarver (898)
    Manny Sanguillen (891)
    A.J. Pierzynski (891)
    Jack Clements (887)
    Wally Schang (882)
    Terry Kennedy (881)
    Smoky Burgess (880)
    Bengie Molina (879)
    Bill Freehan (876)

Thurman Munson is wildly over-rated

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I do not underrate Alan Trammell or Lou Whitaker, but most people do.

I still don't understand how it's pretty much understood that Barry Larkin will get in on the next ballot but Alan Trammell still fails to generate barely enough votes to stay on the ballot. I'd vote for Larkin, but he and Trammell are pretty much the same player, except that Larkin's MVP wasn't stolen from him.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I underrate Dan Marino and Joe Montana. I despised both of them growing up and refused to hear arguments on their greatness. I realize they are exceptional. I just don't want to admit it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The movie "Hoosiers."

6. The movie Layer Cake

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The affects of too much salad on my digestive system.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the 'Stros, Craig Biggio is one I always underrated. I remember being startled when he seemed to zoom right past 3,000 hits. I also had a fairly heated argument with my brother in Houston over Biggio's HOF credentials when he retired, and I'm starting to come around to his point of view.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You are foolish and ill-informed.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Impossible to answer.
    If I underrate someone, then I don't give them credit.
    This thread doesn't give me some sort of epiphany that someone five minutes I thought was a schmuck is all of a sudden great.

11. It would be impossible for me to under-rate a person more than I under-rate Buck and his Thurman Munson loving ass

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed an under-rated catcher, former rookie of the year, MVP and seven-time all-star.

[​IMG]

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted