1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do YOU underrate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this yesterday after seeing 60 Minutes' segment on Albert Pujols and even more today after Jim Thome launched his 600th homer that I've perhaps never thought highly enough about either player.

Peter Gammons called Pujols "unquestionably one of the 10 greatest players in the history of the game." I was a bit taken aback. I respect the hell out of Gammons and his opinion.

Pujols plays in the NL Central, a division I don't pay much attention to and, being in the Northeast, I see the Cardinals on TV but two or three times a year until the playoffs. Frankly, I've just never seen enough of Albert or really thought that much of his prowess. I definitely have underrated him as a player.

Thome, meanwhile, outside of a few of his Cleveland years, I never thought of as a FEARSOME hitter. But you don't get to 600 home runs with a ton of talent or a ton of, ahem, help, and I don't think there's ever been much thought of Thome as a PED guy. So he's another guy I've severely underrated in his career.

Who do YOU underrate?
  2. bigpern23

Really? Sixty people have looked at this and none of you have somebody that you didn't give enough credit to?

OK, I've got a couple of NBA guys, who I always underrated due to irrational sportsfan hatred: Shaq and Reggie Miller.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Derek Jeter needs more love.
  4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You can make a case that Tim Duncan will be the most underrated player with multiple championships, multiple MVP awards and double-digit All-Star appearances ever.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't think Duncan is underrated. People know how great he is, but because he's a quiet and private person, we just know very little about the guy.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Thome is a really good example of this. The guy has 600 HR and he's been off the radar for the bulk of his career.

Pujols isn't underrated. That's just stupid.
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I underrate everyone because I don't care.
  8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Except that Duncan by the numbers is probably one of the greatest players of all time, yet very few people make that case. And I'm not sure that he's ever been considered the best player in the league by fans even in his two MVP seasons. He's always overshadowed by someone, from Shaq and Allen Iverson to Wade and LeBronze. He's woodwork; that's how he's perceived, I think.
  9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I know he's a HOF candidate, but I always thought Curtis Martin was underrated in the NFL. Derrick Mason would be another for me. He wasn't a starter until his fourth season, but still has eight 1,000-yard receiving seasons and has had at least 61 catches every season since 2000.

In baseball, Adrian Beltre. He is just shy of 2000 hits at age 32, so it's conceivable he approaches 3,000 hits when all is said and done. Until watching him daily with the Sox last season, I'd never really thought of him as more than a decent player. No way would I have thought he had a shot at 3,000.
  10. Mizzougrad96

Martin was definitely underrated.

It's pretty hard to be a good NFL QB and be underrated.

In the NBA? I would put Chauncey Billups in that class.
  11. bigpern23

The point of the thread isn't that Player X is underrated by the media or fans, but rather, who do YOU personally underrate?

I underrate Pujols because I've never really seen him play on a consistent basis, haven't followed his stats much because I don't care about the Cardinals or the NL Central and just haven't given him much thought.

I understand that he's one of the best in the game, but at this moment, if I never see him play in person, I won't feel like I missed out on something special the way I feel about never seeing Jordan play in person. And the more I think about Pujols, the more I realize how wrong that is.
  12. John

John Well-Known Member

For decades I've underrated Led Zeppelin. I bought my first LZ songs ever on iTunes a few months ago. I don't celebrate their entire catalog now, or even a third of it, but they're better than I ever gave them credit for being.
Draft saved Draft deleted