1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think will be the next president?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mizzou, the image is out there that McCain is impulse-driven -- whether that's the work of the Bob Jones University henchmen of the 2000 race or not, it still exists.

A lot more people than you give credit for don't want McCain's finger on the red button, and that's even after the Cowboy Bush presidency.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no idea who the next president will be but I predict it will not be McCain, Giuliani or Hillary.
    In fact, I predict NONE of them will even be on the ballot.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would like to see the conventions mean something for once. Ever since '88, even longer, they've been dog and pony shows.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

voteview.com, a non-partisan scholarly web site has McCain as the fourth-most conservative senator. So that doesn't scream moderate to me.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Better him than Cotton. What about Dale? Or John Redcorn? I could look at that all day.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I don't hate the idea of McCain, but he won't win. Why?

1) He is too old and has had major health problems
    2) His hair-trigger temper, which has been documented in the past and will probably surface again under the heat of a national race.

I'm thinking Gore/Obama

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think it would be the difference between, say, continuing to read "My Little Pony" to a group of kids for a few minutes while his security arrangementts were being reviewed on Sept. 11 and, say, summoning the nuclear football to the classroom and blotting most of the Middle East off the map from that same classroom on Sept. 11.

But maybe it's just me.

8. No, I'm sure there are other psychopaths, too.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

As much as I'd love to see him get it, I just don't think Gore can get it done. I don't think he can pull the votes from the middle that other candidates might be able to. Many of the people who voted for Bush in the last two elections now believe they made a terrible mistake, but they'll always defend that mistake by saying that there was no "better option." Gore was one of those options, and I just don't think people will be humble enough to go back and put him in. Yeah, the shrub has screwed them, but if he was closer to their personal choice the first time, Gore's not going to be their choice this time. Especially if he's running against a moderate Republican.

As for McCain, I'm slowly starting to change my view of him. I liked him a couple of years ago. Would've voted for him in a heartbeat. But the shameless sellout job he's done over the past year or so, in which he's basically been giving handjobs to the same group of assholes who so shamed just five years ago, that's a turn-off.

And I think that sellout will come back to haunt him if the right candidate plays it the right way.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great idea!

Now that's got me thinking.

Here's my platform: Cut spending on just about everything ... except maybe the military and intelligence. The federal government doesn't belong in most of the things it's in like education, welfare ... especially the arts, for crying out loud.

Let's see, what else: Well, certainly I'm pro life and will be against abortion. Life starts at conception. Don't agree? Then introduce me to someone who was born but not conceived. You know you can't.

I've got to go to get to work. Maybe I'll come up with more for you later.

This is, of course, all tongue in cheek, but I have considered running locally at times.

Later, and y'all have a good conservative day.

11. By all means, run locally.
    Stop when you get to Guam.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Obama should be the next Dem candidate, but I stress should. He likely won't. And that's a mistake.

He would be a uniter. He's extemely intelligent, something we used to look for in our Presidents, he's young but not too young (would be older than Clinton), has a good vision for the nation and the world. Of course people would say he's weak in foreign policy, inexperienced, et al. But look at our last two presidents, one the gov of a backwards state (The Kevin Nealon speech from the SNL debate always comes to mind) and the other a governor of a major backwards state, who wouldn't know a sitting world leader (at the time) if he knocked off his 10-gallon hat.

But I think Obama's got to play it careful with his future, so he probably won't run. Especially against a Clinton in ascencion. He would destroy her in primaries.

Alas, Gore the Bore will probably mount an ineffective campaign and lose again.

Draft saved Draft deleted