1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think will be the next president?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was under the impression his star was dulled a little bit by the Big Dig bullshit. Didn't he rankle some people (i.e. the Dems) by heading right back to his vacation home after the collapse?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not sure about that, but I know he was fairly vocal on calling for the project manager's dismissal/resignation.

And how much of the Big Dig fiasco should be placed on Romney's shoulders, since he inheirited the mess from Dukakis/Weld/Cellucci.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Based on everythng I've seen of him so far (and admitedly it hasn't been real deep study just yet) I like Romney. But as an aside I'd have to be concerned about anyone who got elected by the Massachussetts voters, so I'd definitely have to study him more closely first.

Oh, wait. This thread is who do you think, not who do you want. Well, just a hunch but I think it's going to be someone who's not quite on everybody's radar just yet. Maybe Romney qualifies in that regard, maybe not.

As things stand right now, I don't think any moderate will be able to win over the base to get the nomination in either party. Of course, the media will only paint the GOP and not the Democrats as extreme because of that.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Funny how it was a Mormon whose presidential hopes were dashed by use of the word 'brainwash'. Just sayin'.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It's interesting to see how many people believe that moderate candidates won't be able to pull it off.

I disagree with that. I think people are quickly growing tired of the divided bullshit. There are, without argument, a lot of dumbasses out there (hence, the second term for Shrubby). But I also think a majority of the voting public is smart enough to see where this has gotten us over the past six years.

I don't necessarily think there'll be some massive switch from Rep. to Dem., but I do think the moderates on both sides will fare better. The ultra-conservative Rep. will take the biggest hit.

And I'll take Evan Byah.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

McCain is strictly ghetto, and I liked McCain a lot until just recently, but his Clinton-like expedience is wearing thin.

Hagel is the new McCain.

I'd love for my boy Feingold to run. Better still, I'd like a Democrat -- who has yet to, and probably won't emerge -- who runs a "the only thing we have to fear is, fear itself"-style campaign. The GOP talks the talk about making the country safe for democracy, but like leeches, they feed on the greater undercurrent of fear in this nation -- the panic-button reaction of some to the foiled terrorist plot this week is a great example. Personally, I'm tired of Republican paternalism, I'm weary of a power structure that prefers that we cower in fear. Somehow, a Democrat needs to articulate that.

But to a greater point, it's freaking Aug. 2006 for God sakes. For all I know, Larry from Three's Company will sweep his way into office.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Feingold would most certainly be the best antedote to W.
    Too bad an intellectual Wisconsin Jew in the midst of a (second) divorce can't win.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

God, how I wish Feingold would run.

I tried to vote for him for Senate once, but I don't live in Wisconsin. Hmm, maybe they didn't count that one ... oh well. Worth a shot anyway. He'd make a great president.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Oh, please. Mass. isn't the Soviet Union. They've been electing moderate Republican governors since 1990. Though I'd note it rankles some that Mitt goes around bashing the place whenever he travels to Iowa or South Carolina. He might have a harder time winning his home state than you'd think.
    But he scored some points with health care reform and, most say, handled the Big Dig crisis pretty well. He could certainly emerge as a major moderate challenger for the GOP, and more electable than, say, Bill Frist. Seems like he'd have a hard time beating McCain, though.

And the Dems must come up with someone better than Hillary. Someone new. It's hard to see who at this point, though. Maybe Bill Richardson. I'm with Bubbler. George and the boys lead through fear, and we need to stop doing that.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't see how McCain is cast as a moderate, his voting record is not. His age and the track record of Senators running for President. But if he gets favorable coverage, he'll win.
    And his presidency will be worse than Bush's.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

McCain looks too frail, and I don't believe America is smart enough to elect him anyway.

I like Bayh and even see Giuliani as a possibility, but I'm going to go with: Somebody nobody's taking about yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted