1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think will be the next president?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2006.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member

My vote ...

[​IMG]

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wonder if there will ever be a woman president. Too many nitwits thinking a woman's place is in the kitchen and/or robotically supporting her husband.

Hope it's Gore. But the Dems will probably fuck it up and the Republicans will scare enough fools people into supporting the party once again.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A thought occurs: McCain gives up on the Republicans, Lieberman gives up on the Democrats, they activate their Wonder Twin powers and create a third party. McCain-Lieberman: feasable at all?

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't think McCain gives up on the GOP. McCain is smart enough to realize that a third party candidate will never become president and that he would split the GOP vote and make the Dem the winner (ala Teddy in 1912). TR may be McCain's hero, but he is intelliggent enough not to want a guaranteed second-place finish. If McCain isn't the nominee, he would likely take a cabinet post (likely Defense) as his political golden watch.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Colbert for president.
    [​IMG]

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I don't buy that, BYH. I think that sooner than later, the right woman candidate is going to win the presidency. Somebody with intelligence AND a hint of a soul and personality, unlike Hillary.

If Hillary doesn't win, it's not because America "isn't ready" for a woman president. It's because America doesn't want Hillary running the country any more than it wanted her taking over health care.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I buy it.

Just listen to the criticism of Hillary.

It's rarely about anything tangible (like policy or ideology).

Instead, it's . . .

"She's a power-crazed bitch." (like men in politics aren't power-crazed?)

"She's just running on the coattails of her husband." (like George W. Bush ever accomplished ANYTHING without the help of family connections)

Fucking Chile is progressive enough to have a woman president.

America is at least another half-century away.

8. It will be someone not on the national radar right now... or maybe Colin Powell.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Okay. Fair enough.

What is the policy case for Hilary Clinton as president? I think of her, I think "creator of failed health-care plan" and "wrote that book whose title I confuse with It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back". But then I'm not a New York resident or a likely Democratic primary voter. So what up?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bang-on.

And S-9, my opinion is based not on my well-known aversion to Republicans (yourself excluded of course :D ) but on years of talking to friends and family members from both sides of the aisle who want no part of a woman president. The most depressing thing to me was talking to my best friend's sister, who is a devout Republican who volunteered for Republican campaigns in high school. She said "Being a president is not a woman's job." WTF?! This is a well-educated, smart person saying this. And she's not alone.

Never gonna happen, whether the candidate is as polarizing as Hillary or not.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

We'll have a woman president in my lifetime, and hopefully, a minority president as well.

That said, I can't see Hillary getting the Democratic nomination in 2008.

McCain and Guiliani aren't conservative enough for the GOP's Christian base. Either would easily get 270 electoral votes in a national election, but neither could get enough delegates in a GOP convention.

In 1990, Bill Clinton was a just a southern governor/saxophonist best known for not knowing when to shut up. Two years later, he was elected President.

I could see a Bill Richardson getting some love. Perhaps even an Evan Bayh (who was a governor before he was a senator).

On the GOP side, I'm betting on Mitt Romney, who will have two years to build up momentum for his run. I think Romney would hold his own in New England, keep the South for the GOP and give them its best shot for keeping the White House.

But don't think the Dems are a lock to take back 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Go back to 1990, remember what Bush's approval rating was that year?

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not that I'm any kind of conspiracy theorist, but I have wondered if we'd see something like this...

Draft saved Draft deleted