1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you respect on the other side of the aisle? [Politics]

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by expendable, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Olympia Snowe (Snow?)

George Will (don't agree with him, respect his intelligence)

George Voinivich (sp)

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I was as big a Goldwater guy as you ever saw -- though it was in large part because I despised Lyndon Johnson, and still do.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh. I want to add Fenian to this list. :D

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Good pull TS.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

George H.W. Bush seems like a decent fellow. I respect men like Baker and Scowcroft for not blindly following the party line on Iraq under Bush 43. Someone else said Hatch; that's not a bad answer. From a media standpoint, Andrew Sullivan is a must-read, and not simply because he saw the light on Iraq. Bill Weld was my kind of Republican -- more libertarian, less socially conservative; too bad he had no real interest in governing Massachusetts.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Thanks.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Andrew Sullivan
    Christopher Hitchens

and absolutely no politicians.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mike Castle
    George Will
    Andrew Sullivan
    Frank Wolf

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Hagel. McCain. Most of what's left of the moderate Republican senator wing from New England (Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins). Michael Bloomberg.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It would be easier to cite one of the dwindling number of moderate Republicans, but I think the spirit of the question goes more to the unexpected choice. For me, that's Lindsay Graham. I disagree with him on 21 out of 20 random issues, but he sounds like he's not just reciting talking points when I've heard him.

Draft saved Draft deleted