1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you respect on the other side of the aisle? [Politics]

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by expendable, Jul 15, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This will be my 2,000th post, and I didn't want to start a "look at me thread." However, at the same time, I didn't want my 2,000th to be about fart jokes, or Mikey's dry spell, etc... I wanted it to have some relevance, and maybe offer up something original. With that in mind, I ask:

Who on the other side of the aisle, politically do you respect?

Not that you would necessarily vote for these people if given the chance, because on several key issues their beliefs often fly in the face of what you believe. Still, they manage to garner much of your respect. This is also with the understanding that the answers will, more often than not, be people who don't march lockstep with their respective party line, and party hardliners will find fault with these folk -- almost to the point of wishing they get unseated in the primary. Even at that, I think some of these choices will be quite surprising.

I'll offer two:

1. Joe Lieberman: I admire his willingness to compromise, and some of the stances he's taken despite the wishes of his party. It shows that he's a man of principle, and is an American before he is a Democrat. He made the Gore ticket more palatable for me in 2000, and if he had been on the top of the ticket, I would've considered voting for him despite our many differing views.

2. Paul Wellstone: I said some of these would be a surprise. He and I probably agreed that the United States of America are better off as a free nation, rather than as colonies of the British Empire. From there, our views began to differ. Still, he seemed like someone who truly believed what he was campaigning for -- though it more often than not, was the polar opposite of what I believe. I admired that he appeared genuine in his beliefs, and I don't see that in most politicians anymore. It's sad that he's no longer with us, and even more tragic that honesty like his is also a thing of the past.

Do you have any?

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I hate both sides.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Over/under on posts before the obligatory "Lieberman is a traitor" post?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lieberman is a traitor. :D

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not Pallister, that's for sure.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've said that about McCain before. ;)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd kidnap Keith Olbermann and keep him in my basement. Does that count?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Would you, please? Spare the rest of us.

9. I'd agree with your two selections, expendable. I'm curious to see what the left side of the aisle has to say in return.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Congrats on 2,000 expendable!

I'm not discussing politics, though.

Here are two gifts:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I count at least three.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I don't respect anyone on the Right because they're all evil. Every single one of them. It's not that we just disagree, they're evil, horrible people and I hate them all.

Draft saved Draft deleted