1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who did you see live before they were big?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jan 2, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching the final season of Schitt's Creek - I recalled seeing Victor Garber on the national tour of "They're Playing Our Song" in the '80s. Also saw Megan Hilty in a tour of "Wicked" (both were fantastic.) Also recall seeing James Shields play for the Birmingham Barons. Also recall seeing Jeff Kent play for Cal baseball and Kenny G open for George Benson. And went to high school with Will Forte.
    Any others?

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The weirdest? Katy Perry was a Christian pop singer who went by Katy Hidon at one point and I saw her sing at a music festival when I was in high school. Only after she hit it big did I remember it.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Dozens if you count the people you went to school with or covered while they were in high school or college.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

• Saw No Doubt when Gwen Stefani was their backup singer and she was still in high school
    • Saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers play a bar and at a beer garden at my college
    • Saw Sheryl Crow open for Crowded House in a club
    • Saw a horrid, droning industrial band called Psi Com open for Fishbone in a club. It was one of their last (and only) shows before they made a lineup shift and changed their name to Jane's Addiction.
    • Saw INXS in a club

5. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon. You know what the spirit of the question was. Before they were "big"? If I heard of them they were probably big somewhere, but Huey Lewis and the News. Spouse tuned the piano for him prior to the concert and we got free tickets (and were paid for the tuning). Small club in Delaware more known for social drinking than acts. Huey was enamored by the autotune technology. Also Jay Leno, who I don't find find funny now, or didn't even before, but in the moment he was hilarious. Herd comedy.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to ridicule your question, that's why I didn't start naming people. Good thread, hope more people chime it.

tea and ease likes this.
  7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt (swear to God).
    At one point my sister-in-law turned to me and said, "My, he has pretty hair."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I saw Pearl Jam in a small club in Frankfurt, Germany about 2 weeks before they blew up massively stateside. Even that was a tough ticket.

I would have to comb through all my saved playbills, but I swear I also saw one of Oasis' first gigs in Manchester in 1992-ish.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I didn't see them, but when I was in high school in 1975, one of my best friends summoned a group of us to to the library to listen to a cassette from his cousin's new band. The group was Heart and the album was Dreamboat Annie. His cousin is Howard Leese, who played guitar and keyboards.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jimmy Buffett

Fleetwood Mac

Inky_Wretch and Driftwood like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My wife Alice was at the old Harvard Square Theater concert where Bruce opened for Bonnie Raitt and then she wouldn't go on. That's a pretty high bar.

UNCGrad likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There was already a buzz about them ... their music was heavily played on my college radio station, KRUI ... but caught Uncle Tupelo and Smashing Pumpkins when they came through Iowa City in the early 1990s.

Draft saved Draft deleted