1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who covers ALL the football in North Texas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MrBSquared, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Moved to the MetroPlex (Dallas/Fort Worth) not quite 6 months ago and got a subscription to the Star-Telegram.

Not that impressive overall, and not too blown away by the Sports section.

Obviously, the massive cuts have had an impact both in content and quality. No argument. Plus, really, I don't get the reported high-priced contract for Galloway -- everything of his I've read has been ... meh, OK. Lot's of insider, first-names-cuz-I-know-em stuff that sounds more like one of the callers to his radio show than the product of a six-figure columnist.

But, I digress...

Knowing all that, let me say I still love the idea of picking up the paper on Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday to get the sidebars, the gamers, the columns and the insight from high school, college and pro football.

Obviously, the Dallas Morning News will go NUTS about the Cowboys, but I want something that will give me some real insight to the area high school teams and keep me up-to-date with the Big 12 scene as well as TCU and the other colleges (SMU, North Texas, etc.).

Am considering dumping the S-T, but am worried the DMN will be too tunnel-visioned to provide diverse and complete football coverage at all levels.

So, the question is, which paper does the best job covering ALL the football in North Texas?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

None of them.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the old dmn

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The Dallas Times Herald. Wait, they were bought and a fraction of its DNA is in the SlimFast version of the Morning Snooze...once the Encyclopedia Britannica of of sports sections.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

"You want my advice? Go back to Bulgaria."

(Thread jack alert: Name the movie that quote is from.)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DMN does a great job ... with the white-flight northern suburbs. That's about it.

7. Armchair_QB

DMN DID a great job. Don't see how they will moving forward.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

3-4-5 years ago the dmn did a great job. not so much the last couple of years and i'm guessing the recent cuts will erode that quality even more.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? Way too easy.

Casablanca.

It's the scene where the young girl is considering Louis' proposition (wink, wink) for an exit visa and asks Rick what she should do.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You watch. They'll still blow the "usual suspects" (Highland Park, Plano, Allen, Carroll, etc.) because that's where the money is.

Another Casablanca reference. Ha!

11. Armchair_QB

And continue to throw a bone towards the DISD team du jour.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They talked about blowing people in Casablanca? Must be the director's cut ... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted