1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who coordinates the AP Top 25?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No wonder he hasn't moved up the food chain. All that time bending the ear of the AP guy takes time away from actually doing your job.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not saying I don't waste time doing things (like posting on SportsJournalists.com). But I have never understood why people get so worked up over a poll that has absolutely no significance anymore. Let's say you change everything about the way the poll is tabulated. Then what? Still meaningless.

3. times38

times38 Member

for that matter, why are beat guys the ones getting the vote? they're not seeing much more than the team they cover every week. it's not like they have any better idea of who's good than some guy sitting on the desk all week might have.

4. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Well, I would hope that if you are the beat guy, you are paying attention to what's going on around the country simply because you should be that knowlegable about what you're covering, which to me extends beyond just the team your covering.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Yeah, you really have no clue.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sure, you pay attention. but if you're covering your team's game, you're presumably spending most, if not all, of your saturday watching it, interviewing and then writing about it. so you actually see fewer games than someone who isn't a beat writer.

i don't know. i never had a vote when i was a sports writer but i also never had the college football or hoops beat.

7. times38

times38 Member

are you a voter? if so I'm curious how you keep track of everyone. I'm not saying you don't deserve a vote or someone else deserves it more, but I am curious how those who are covering a beat do it.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am not a voter, but I know how I would handle it if I was.

DVR is your friend. So are the countless number of televisions around the press box. And your fellow beat writers around the conference.

The majority of the leg-work is done through the week, I would bet. Saturday (and Sunday) is just about affirming your beliefs, or re-assessing.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seriously -- is something so meaningless worth all that effort?

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If you're going to do it, do it well.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Tate.

Draft saved Draft deleted