1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who complains more -- fathers or mothers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 24, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To answer this question would admit to giving them a second of thought from me. I never did, and they never showed me a journalism degree when they were bitching. Fuck em.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Words to the mothers -- your son/daughter isn't the only player on the team and in many cases, isn't even the best athlete on the team!

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Word to your motha. :D

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Definitely moms here, but moreso soccer moms than any other moms. I find that soccer moms (moms that actually have kids competing in soccer) tend to be a lot more critical of coverage. It's never enough coverage, we only cover when they lose, we don't mention all of the kids' names, we never run their team championship pictures, we cover their rival more than we cover them. The list goes on and on.

I think the funniest thing about soccer moms is their "soccer is the most popular sport in the world" argument. And that's always followed by "If you came out to (insert soccer fields) on Saturday morning, you'd see thousands of kids playing soccer." The problem is that by the time those kids get to high school, they've either quit soccer or discovered a real sport to play.

Anyway, sorry to turn this into a soccer rant. I hate soccer. LOL

5. Mothers easily.

I had a mother who was on my case this year because I did not talk much about her son's great performance never mind her son's team was horrible.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Anyone who complains about my work is always a mother ... a mother fucker!

7. timesup

timesup New Member

Mothers - hands down. I've had the fathers complain, but they normally don't get worked up enough to call in. This one mom complained after he son was selected as the football player of the week. I didn't have a head shot of him, so I used an action shot to go with his story. I used a head shot for the junior high player of the week. The mom called in and got all over me because she said she could not see her son's face and the other kid got a head shot. I quickly pointed out that her son had already been in the paper fourteen thousand times that season (one of which was on the freaking cover of the football preview).

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

At my small-time rag, I had a mom who was an advertiser with two kids on varsity teams. I "ruined the one's senior year" (I didn't know as a newspaper writer I had that kind of power) and didn't mention the other enough during a game story during a playoff game (it was about a paragraph). Her weekly critiques to the publisher via e-mail were always eagerly anticipated.

Sometimes this job is like being the dad in a wiffle ball game on America's Funniest Home Videos. Sooner or later, you're going to be taking it in the crotch.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

We get a ton from fathers here. They all think their kid is the best at their aport and that we don't cover their team enough

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

During my time, stay-at-home non-working moms with precious little to no knowledge of whatever sport they were railing on about. You can't win against people like this.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

We had a mother ejected from the facility during a prep soccer match tonight. Apparently she was being quite vulgar with her comments.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As a former hockey parent, the mothers were the worst and mostly because a lot of them knew squat about the game.

A lof of us fathers watched them with mild amusement.

(That's pretty condescending, I know)

The funniest thing though was one of the divorced hockey dads figured out at the beginning of the season who the single moms were. Watching him was better entertainment than the kids' games.

Draft saved Draft deleted