1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who complains more -- fathers or mothers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 24, 2007.

1. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Around here, most of the complaints are from grandparents.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it took this long to call out that comment.

Perhaps the X Man didn't intend it that way, but it comes across like a guy who car pools to work with Ward Cleaver in his De Soto.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Mothers by a long shot, but I did have this one time where a mother called up and two minutes later, put her husband on the phone. I hung up and said, "I just got tag-teamed by Hawk and Animal."

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

It used to be fathers by a wide margin. Then we installed a "moms-only" complaint hotline and dropped coverage of wrestling and boys gymnastics to comply with Title IX.

Now it's 50/50.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To be fair to Mr. X, obviously all fathers don't work and all moms don't stay at home, but more moms stay at home than fathers. I don't think that's a negative stereotype.

Then there's the whole "soccer mom" thing and, rightly or wrongly, certainly moms get a lot of the work driving kids to games and staying to watch or whatever.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What I should have written was, "women are more likely than men NOT to work outside the home, thus giving them more time then men to complain about high school sports coverage." I just wrote this too quickly.

7. KG

KG Active Member

That's ok, my initial reaction was to say that women are more ballsy than men when it comes to speaking their mind or standing up for something they believe in. But really, that's just my hot-headed, biased opinion.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Moms.
    Had one rip me up one side and down the other once for not covering their school (read, her son) enough and with regularity.
    Thing is the kid isn't even hers. The father and biological mother divorced, and she married the father when the kid was a freshman.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Hey at least she cares. It doesn't excuse her behavior though.

10. Definitely moms. Plus they're way fucking meaner. Most of the dads who have called to complain I've been able to talk down off the ledge. The moms -- they're out for blood and nothing you say or do will satiate them until they destroy you.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to say. Other than the father who last summer was mad that we had his daughter's batting average wrong (the average he kept was different than the coach's and so, in his mind, the right one) and then said because we didn't have her on our all-area first team he was going to "do something about it."

12. KG

KG Active Member

Now that's funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted