1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who complains more -- fathers or mothers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 24, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I received an e-mail today from a father alleging a mistake in coverage. This is the first time I remember getting a complaint from a father and I've been at this job for 7 1/2 years.

I would be interested in hearing what your ratio is on complaints from mothers versus fathers.

My gut feeling is that in general, fathers are much busier with their work and don't have time to complain, unlike mothers, who are less likely to work outside the house.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

In my experience, fathers are more likely to raise a fuss about their daughters and mothers are more likely to do so for sons.

Perhaps not complaining to newspapers, but with complaints to coaches and administrators, definitely.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Moms, in a landslide.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Moms. By 3-1 at least.

5. Taylee

Taylee Member

Pretty even here, but the mothers sure spew more venom.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In my experience, Mom fans, and male coaches.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Moms way more. I've actually had a real good experience with most fathers. Mothers on the other hand...

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mothers, somewhere between 2-1 and 3-1.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Pretty even in my experiences.

Had a father last year that was the all-time worst.

Covered a meaningless mid-season high school football game where the score was something like 63-14 and I took an "player feature" angle for the story 'cause it was a blowout. Anyway, at the end of gamers I do a little Extra Points thing where I wrap up how the teams scored and I missed one of his son's punt returns for a touchdown (although I mentioned his kid's catch for a TD) and the dad went bananas on the phone.

I wasn't doing the kids justice. They want to see their names in the paper. It was shoddy journalism. Unprofessional. On and on.

After he calmed down I politely reminded him of the FUCKING FEATURE I WROTE ON HIS KID THE WEEK BEFORE!

Silence.

Thank you. Good bye.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Indeed, some of the most venomous (anonymous) calls I get are from females.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Moms. Close the hymnals, Mass is over.

12. KG

KG Active Member

Is that really fair? Maybe it's just me, or even this area where I live, but I was under the assumption that stay-at-home moms was a fading way of life.

Then again, for the ones that do stay at home while the father is too busy with his work to have time to complain, maybe the fathers are clueless to what's going on, while the mothers are always there.

Either way, it doesn't justify stupid complaints.

Draft saved Draft deleted