1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who buys straight to DVD movies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, just saw a commercial for "Without a Paddle 2" which they advertised as, "Better than the first."

This is obviously bullshit, since if it were better than the first, which was released to theaters, it would have been in your local cineplex.

Now, obviously, since most of these movies are cheap to make (no-name actors, no CGI, etc.), they probably make financial sense for the production studios. They wouldn't make them - and certainly wouldn't advertise them - otherwise.

So my question is this: Who the fuck is buying these movies?? They're obviously terrible. Why would anyone go buy one of these flicks (outside of Disney movies, which little kids will enjoy pretty much no matter what)?

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I recently went to Blockbuster for the first time in years, and could not believe the number of straight-to-video movies among the new releases. National Lampoon appears to be cranking out that shit nonstop. And they all just look horrendous.

I have no idea how they make money.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought the same thing, Babar. I'd wager that there is MORE straight-to-DVD dreck at Blockbuster than actual theatrical releases.

I saw something even worse the other day, though. Was coming back from my folks and stopped at a highway rest stop for some gas. Walked into the store to use the can and I saw a rack of $3.99 DVDs. The only "star" I recognized among these clearly shittastic movies was............ERIK ESTRADA!!!! And it was clearly an old movie. Seriously, who walks into a highway rest stop and says "Hey, I know what I want to watch when I get home...this $3.99 movie I've never heard of starring Erik Estrada!"

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Me dammit! I mean with the sound off, obviously, and only a really old Erik Estrada movie cause he hasn't aged all that well.

I understand the cartoon sequel straight to DVD releases. Hell, my sister owns a ton for her kiddos. The other ones, not so much. My brother gave me one for my birthday one time (had Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore and that chick from the first Bourne in it). It was dreck, even with a really solid cast, the movie was terrible.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I believe "Barely Legal" volumes 1-108 all went straight to DVD.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think a lot of these movies do well overseas.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Why would he do this?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because there's a three-year moratorium between "Dancing With The Stars" appearances?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

But, I mean, I'm really kind of shocked. Someone of his stature shouldn't be doing this shit.

12. jps

jps Active Member

oh ... I thought you were looking for suggestions. I was gonna vote mikey ... not sure why. just seems to fit.

Draft saved Draft deleted