1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who believes Jimmie Johnson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 10, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I won't be doing any digging. Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Skippy, you gotta be kidding me. Sponsors, apparel companies, Jeff Gordon and Rick Hendrick have tens of millions tied up in this guy. Whether it affects his driving or not, he deserves to be up-front with them -- at least we agree on that. But they damn well should get the straight dope.

3. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I don't disagree with you in the slightest and I sure he had to answer to them...why should he have to answer to the media and the fans? This story shouldn't have been any longer than a couple paragraphs and done. The Jeff Kent story was huge because not only did he lie, the lie was absolutely ridiculous AND he had riders in his contract stating he couldn't participate in actitives that may be dangerous. Like I said, a real story was Tony Stewart and the fact he kept getting injured in series other than Cup and it can be argued that he didn't make the Chase because of it...where was THAT story?

And Predictor, nice comeback...are you going to call me a big stupid head next?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The New Smyrna wreck may have contributed to the eventual shoulder injury, but to blame it for him not making the Chase... he made the Chase since he slacked off in the races leading up to Richmond

5. TheSportsPredictor

Your posts make me saying that redundant.

Why does he have to answer to the media and fans? Because the injury might affect him when NASCAR starts up again. And because he lied. And because he is the FREAKING DEFENDING CHAMPION.

6. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I wasn't refering solely to the New Smyrna wreck...he had a couple pretty serious Busch wrecks as well...

7. skippy05

skippy05 Member

So you're one of those guys who feels like since you cover the sport, YOU are somehow OWED an explanation for everything that happens. You report the story and leave it at that. If something comes out of it later, you use the initial incident as background. But at the end of the day, he doesn't owe the media or the fans anything. Yes, if he wants to stay popular and wants the people to shop at Lowe's or wear his gear, then I would recommend that he kiss as much fan ass as possible, but the average fan could care less that, the week after the banquet, he suffered a minor injury horsing around on the golf course. When Scott Wimmer had his incident a few years ago, that was an issue. If Jimmie did this the week before a race, that would be an issue, but the fact that he's got more than two months to heal, no, this isn't a big deal...except to people like you who feel that just because you have a media credential, somehow you're OWED something...

8. TheSportsPredictor

You got me PEGGED!

9. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Sorry, figuring out my right from my left is not one of my strong suits.

10. skippy05

skippy05 Member

My powers of observation are what has made me the minimum-wage earning success I am today...

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm a little lost here, probably because I haven't read the in-depth stories, just the brief wire stuff.

What is the lie? Is it based on the "I was in the golf cart" as opposed to "I was on the golf cart"?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The lie is that he fell out of a golf cart when it was making a sharp turn, when in reality he fell off the top of the golf cart since he was being a dumbass.

Draft saved Draft deleted