1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who believes Jimmie Johnson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 10, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Nextel Cup champion Jimmie Johnson broke his left wrist when he fell out of a golf cart during a celebrity tournament, his team said Sunday.

The injury occurred Friday at a tournament in Lecanto, Fla., and will prevent him from driving for at least four weeks. The injury was to his non-shifting hand, and he should be able to participate in preseason testing at Daytona International Speedway next month.

"I was in a golf cart and the driver took a sharp turn," Johnson said in a statement. "I wasn't holding on tight enough, landed awkwardly on the ground and heard a little pop. It was a fluke deal, but fortunately we're in the offseason and I don't plan to miss any additional time."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6257616?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8901

Who wants to bet someone was drunk?? Either JJ was trying to drive the golf cart like a racecar, or whoever he was with was trying to show off to the champ.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If he's the passenger, shouldn't he break his right wrist?

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'll take JJ driving and someone else taking the fall for 2,000.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

True story ... buddy of mine was sitting in the back of a cart, holding two beers and arguing with his 15-year-old daughter who was at the wheel.

She took off, he fell off. Broke both arms but spilled neither beer.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I hope he wasn't with the daughter of the dean.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Depends on how you fall. Really.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, to break the left from the passenger side it seems you'd have to fall AND turn. Very possible, I'm sure. Very possible. But breaking the left seems one hell of a lot more likely from the driver's side.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

who beat?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In Sunday Money, Jeff MacGregor describes a very specific scene where Jeff Gordon goes flying out of a golf cart and bounces off the pavement when someone cuts a corner too fast. (He wasn't hurt, though.) I'd say it's quite possible JJ is telling the truth.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It says Johnson was a passenger...but doesn't say where he was sitting. He could've been riding on the back of the cart and rolled off, that being the way he broke his wrist, Mod.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It could've been a British cart, Moddy.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The ground, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted