1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who beat Mike Tyson in the NES classic Mike Tyson's Punch Out???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 28, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

How the hell did I get dragged into that? Shit, I am not a pompous ass like some people on this board!!!

I think I beat Tyson. Honestly can't remember. And I don't remember if I have ever thrown a no-no, either.

But I did beat GTA: San Andreas before anyone else I knew.

2. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

The rumor used to be that if you beat tyson and sent a picture of the screen to the makers of the game you could get a free game sent to you. ah, to be a kid again.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

When you say 'beat' San Andreas, are you saying you got 100% completion? Because if you took the time required to do that, there's no way you wouldn't remember beating Tyson.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I actually skipped school one day to beat Mike Tyson. I had rented the game from our local Shop-Rite (remember when you could rent videos and games from Shop-Rite stores? LOL) and had gotten to the Mike Tyson fight late Sunday afternoon. I knew I would have to bring the game back before Monday night, but I couldn't bring it back without beating Mike Tyson.

So I faked a stomach ache in the morning, my mom let me stay home and I stayed in my room all day trying to beat the damn game. Luckily for me my mom had to work, so I could play without interruption. I finally beat the fool via decision.

My favorite was Glass Tiger. He always was the one to give me the most problems. I think I tried to hard to get into a timing rhythm that I psyched myself out.

5. Who the heck was Glass Tiger? Shop-Rite gave you the bootleg version. ;)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I defeated the giant almost 20 years ago -- more like 17, I think. I was in second grade. That much I know.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I always remember hearing the legend of the original version of Punch-Out having Vodka Drunkenski instead of Soda Popinski. Was that the arcade version?

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yes, the standing arcade version, in which you were a walking skeleton made of green pipe cleaners :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

By the way, doesn't Little Mac look like a young Richard Gere?

[​IMG]

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

AWESOME! Very much so, actually. And the Doc Louis reminds me a bit of Carl Winslow.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

LOL, I meant Great Tiger. I guess I had Glass Joe on the brain.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Shop-Rite did give me a bootleg version.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I just beat Tyson, and am back to my old ways -- I did it without being punched once by Kid Dynamite!!!

It's tough, but once you know his patterns it is possible. I wound up TKOing him with 29 seconds left in the second round.

Draft saved Draft deleted